Character Path Limit

Discussion, questions and support.
Thunder

Character Path Limit

#1 Post by Thunder » 29.02.2020, 08:54

Hello All:

I have been using FreeCommander for several days now. I got frustrated with the 260 character path limit used in Windows 10 and more specifically Windows Explorer. So I was looking around for a file manager that had no path or character limits when naming files. I have really been enjoying the flexibility of FreeCommander, especially as compared to Windows Explorer; but sadly, I'm still running into the character path limit when using FreeCommander. I have a sizable digital library wherein I name my book files by using full bibliographical information (including author, book title, edition, series, editor, publisher location, publisher, and date etc). I'm an academic, so all this information is important to me, and naming my files in this way helps me locate specific works or topical collections more quickly. However, with these longer file names, it doesn't take long to use up the normal 260 character path limit in Windows (especially if the file is saved to several levels of sub-folders); and once that happens the file cannot be opened or read.

I'm running Windows 10 (64 bit), and downloaded and installed the FreeCommander 32 bit version just to test it out before donating and upgrading to the 64 bit version. Before I do that, I just want to make sure that FreeCommander does, indeed, remove the 260 character path limit. That is the primary feature I'm looking for in a file manger. It seems like the FreeCommander 32 bit version does not remove this character limitation, and I'm still getting an error message stating the path is too long etc (though this could be because I'm running the FreeCommander 32 bit version on a 64 bit operating system). So I just want to make sure that the 64 bit version of FreeCommander does override this limitation.

Any help of confirmation would be grately appreciated!

Kind Regards;

Thunder

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Character Path Limit

#2 Post by Marek » 29.02.2020, 10:16

In the past few weeks I've made some changes to make long path operations work properly.
Write more precisely what problems you have and what doesn't work. Which path lengths cause problems?

Thunder

Re: Character Path Limit

#3 Post by Thunder » 02.03.2020, 09:34

Hi Marek:

Thank you for responding. Much appreciated!

I actually realized that the problem isn't with FreeCommander, but rather with Adobe Reader. FreeCommander reads my pdf files without issue; however, when I execute or double click on the pdf file to open and read it, I get an adobe error message.

Adobe Reader DC does have a character path limit. So this isn't in any way a FreeCommander issue.

My apologies for not realizing this!

Thank you for your kind help!

Thunder