FC again opening full-screen instead of remembering last position and size

Discussion, questions and support.
peterfc

FC again opening full-screen instead of remembering last position and size

#1 Post by peterfc » 06.11.2020, 13:41

Hello, I use the most recent free version 810a, with W10. Problem stated in the subject line has been reappearing for some days now (after automatic W10 update?, did not change settings or anything else in my, FC or overall, setup).

I am on a 2-screen setup, FC "remembers" it's on the second screen, but goes fullscreen there, every time now.

Is the problem known? Can it be resolved by tweaking settings? by update (paid version, in case?)? (In the latter case, can I be sure that the problem is resolved in the paid version (of which there is no trial available)?)

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: FC again opening full-screen instead of remembering last position and size

#2 Post by Dreamer » 06.11.2020, 17:48

Please try it with the latest version 830 public beta, it's stable enough.

peterfc

#3 Post by peterfc » 07.11.2020, 10:07

I had used 790; before posting, I had used 810 which didn't make a difference; now 830 doesn't make any difference either, unfortunately. (Didn't change any setting, but W10 updates itself regularly... No similar problems with other installed software though. Problem had started about 10 days ago, as said with 790.)

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 07.11.2020, 12:45

Is it real fullscreen - no title bar? If so - when you press F11 and close FC like this, is it still opening in fullscreen?

If it's not fullscreen, when you click the "restore" title bar button, close FC and reopen, is it still broken?

And if you switch FC to window mode and move it to first screen, close, reopen, is it still broken?

peterfc

#5 Post by peterfc » 09.11.2020, 10:46

Thank you very much, Dreamer!

Problem is obviously solved.

You were right, "fullscreen" was no real fullscreen, but just FC taking, in window mode, the whole screen, and the ugliest problem in this was, when I then resized the window (to 1/3 of the 2560x1200 screen, the favorites list (my setup is favorites 1/4 to the left, then 3/4 "left" and "right" panes top and bottom) took the same width as in "fullscreen", which was in fact about 95 p.c. of the width of my real window, so I also had, every time, to then manually redraw the limit between favorites and regular panes. (I wasn't aware that in fullscreen mode (which I never use for anything), FC hasn't a caption anymore.)

Now, after switching several times between my wanted window size, real fullscreen mode, closing the program (Alt-F4), and so on, my FC showed some intermediate (and even too tiny) window sizes, too, but after some more switching around between all these, my FC window is now stable again, between closing the program and reopening it.

To say it all, in-between this fiddling around, I inadvertently also got my Firefox window real-fullscreen and then had similar problems with that window which took the whole screen on its turn, and there, too, I had to fiddle with real-fullscreen in-between, in order to get it right again.

Thus, I inadvertantly must have set FC to real-fullscreen at some time, from which then these "window doesn't remember previous position/size" problems arose which obviously is not specific to FC - problems that obviously persisted even over multiple Windows restarts.

Since I, as said, never use real-fullscreen ever, except for my video player (I suppose), I hadn't been aware of this. My intermediate FC "fullscreens" were NOT real fullscreens indeed (it always had had its caption), but then, the FC "remember last size/position" settings (which I hadn't touched, as said), seem to have been responsible for reverting the FC window size to "whole screen", the intermediate "fullscreen" thing seemingly "overtaking" real size and position to be remembered, in a sort of "precedence" of what is remembered after all.

(As for 830 - you probably know that -, the selected entry in the favorites is often with black background, which makes it unreadable; when I then select another entry in the favorites by mouse, it gets to regular blue background, and when then the favorites lose focus, it (=the line in question) immediately reverts to black background again.)

Thank you very much again, so, thanks to your hints, finally "fiddling around some rounds with real-fullscreen, resizes and closing/reopening the program" was the successful strategy to get it all neat again!

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 09.11.2020, 18:38

You're welcome.

If you have another problem, issue, bug, please create a new topic, 1 topic per issue, please.

Forum Rules (Read First!) - FreeCommander Forum

BTW - Could you write a bit more briefly, please? So it would be easier to read.

For issues, the steps to reproduce are helpful, another useful topic:

How to report a bug (Read before posting!) - FreeCommander Forum