How to persist the win+e shortcut across reboots

Discussion, questions and support.
Wez

How to persist the win+e shortcut across reboots

#1 Post by Wez » 27.02.2014, 08:48

Hello,

I thought I would share this solution to the win+e redirect that gets reset on reboot on Windows 8.

This came about when I noticed the executable file "FCWinERedirect.exe", I took the initiative to hook this within the startup chain:
  1. Create a new file as "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\FCHook.bat" with this content:

Code: Select all

start "HOOK" "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE\FCWinERedirect.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe"
    exit
  2. In windows Task Manager -> Startup tab you should see FCHook.bat, status should be enabled
Adjust the path of your FreeCommander binary as necessary.

That is all.

akrogun

Re: How to persist the win+e shortcut across reboots

#2 Post by akrogun » 07.05.2016, 12:07

Wez wrote:Hello,

I thought I would share this solution to the win+e redirect that gets reset on reboot on Windows 8.

This came about when I noticed the executable file "FCWinERedirect.exe", I took the initiative to hook this within the startup chain:
  1. Create a new file as "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\FCHook.bat" with this content:

Code: Select all

start "HOOK" "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE\FCWinERedirect.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe"
    exit
  2. In windows Task Manager -> Startup tab you should see FCHook.bat, status should be enabled
Adjust the path of your FreeCommander binary as necessary.

That is all.
This one should work on Vista:
1. Enter RegEdit
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
3. New String Value
4. Enter: "H:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FCWinERedirect.exe" "H:\Program Files\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe" (adjust the path)
5. Thank you

Free4all

Re: How to persist the win+e shortcut across reboots

#3 Post by Free4all » 07.05.2016, 23:13

This information will likely be useful to many people.

Can details for each OS be added to the FAQ?