Can't change configuration folder in FreeCommander XE

Discussion, questions and support.
commcorresp

Can't change configuration folder in FreeCommander XE

#1 Post by commcorresp » 10.01.2016, 18:48

Hi Folks,

I'm using FreeCommander XE 2015 Build 685 32-bit public on Windows 10. I'd like to change the location of the configuration folder so that I can use the same settings under 2 different accounts, one general purpose, one admin. So far, I haven't been able to do this.

When I go to Tools | Settings | Start program | Configuration folder, the options are grayed out. A message there says "You can change the option only if the install folder and the file fcStart.ini are writeable". But I haven't been able to give that any sensible interpretation. I can't find any file called "fcStart.ini" anywhere and all the folders having to do with FreeCommander XE are writeable by admin, which is the account from which I'm trying to make this change.

I saw one discussion in the Forum history that was somewhat related but did not point to a solution. There was no issue of the selection options being grayed out.

Wondering if the option to change the location of the Configuration Folder is not supported in the non-donor version. But any relevant info. would be apreciated.

Regards,

Jed

Karol

Re: Can't change configuration folder in FreeCommander XE

#2 Post by Karol » 10.01.2016, 20:02

http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/e ... older.html
Simply download the portable version and unpack the archive file in some folder (but not in your Program Files) and you can change what you want.

stephen147

Re: Can't change configuration folder in FreeCommander XE

#3 Post by stephen147 » 23.05.2019, 01:13

I know this is an old thread.

I had this problem also.
  1. Close FC & RMB on FC shortcut and run as admin.
  2. Change the directory to your new location. (I choose FC Install folder)
  3. FC will then copy the settings automatically from the old location to the new one.
  4. Restart FC again in admin.
  5. Select the same color schemes: VIEW>COLOR SCHEMES>... This is to ensure FC can locate this file.
  6. Close and restart normally.
  7. You can then remove the old folder should you wish.
  8. Edit the permission for User of the SETTINGS folder as this:

Maybe a bit long winded but this worked.
Sceenshots made easy with ShareX.