User Collaboration to Get FC Working In Wine

Discussion, questions and support.
freecicero

User Collaboration to Get FC Working In Wine

#1 Post by freecicero » 16.05.2016, 17:24

I don't want to distract the admins or ask for a feature that will never be implemented. I have read the several threads in the past on using Freecommander on Linux, and I don't expect we'll ever see a Linux version of Freecommander. Past threads:

http://www.forum.freecommander.com/view ... f=2&t=3129

http://www.forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?t=1847

http://www.forum.freecommander.com/viewtopic.php?t=825

HOWEVER, I don't see why those users who are interested could not collaborate to see if there is some Wine/Playonlinux/Crossover tweaks that could not be found to make the current version of Freecommander work in Linux. I use Freecommander now in virtualbox within a debian distro, but I would very much like to come closer to native operation in WINE or the equivalent.

In my case, the program seems to start nicely, but whenever I click on a drive I get the message "an error occurred in the application" without any further description. This doesn't seem like TOO big a hurdle, especially since the last time I think I recall trying it, Totalcommander worked without that problem.

If the Admins see this as unreasonable and want to delete this thread, no problem, I understand. But Freecommander is much more mature than DoubleCommander or any other solution I find on Linux. If there is any chance that wine could be tweaked to get it to work, I will be happy to work with others who want to try some tweaks to wine to see what can be done.

Thus I am posting this thread to see if anyone is interested in discussing that here.

thanks.
Last edited by freecicero on 23.12.2016, 23:20, edited 4 times in total.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: User Collaboration to Get Freecommander Working In Wine

#2 Post by Marek » 16.05.2016, 22:49

Do you know if exists somewhere Oracle VM VirtualBox with Linux und Wine for free downloading?

freecicero

#3 Post by freecicero » 17.05.2016, 00:02

Marek:

Here is a link to a site that specializes in virtualbox downloads, this particular page on ubuntu would probably make the most sense to use: https://virtualboxes.org/images/ubuntu/ Or this one with Linux Mint: https://virtualboxes.org/images/linuxmint/

Hmm -- this site looks more recent and might be better: http://www.osboxes.org/virtualbox-images/

But if you or anyone else wants me to create a virtualbox running a particular linux version, let me know as I will be glad to work it up and post a link.

SCRATCH ALL THAT ABOVE - If you are willing to look at it Marek, the least I can do is prepare a virtuabox readymade with wine installed and freecommander installed so you can see exactly what is going on. Give me an hour or so and I will post a link....

freecicero

#4 Post by freecicero » 17.05.2016, 01:37

I have prepared a Manjaro vdi with Freecommander installed that gives exactly the error I experience. Unfortunately it is 5gb in size so I am looking for a way to upload or send...

(I am uploading to my google drive so I will have a link in a few hours) ;-)

freecicero

#5 Post by freecicero » 17.05.2016, 13:53

Link to a download in my google drive, which I will keep up as long as I can. This is the latest Manjaro with LXQT desktop with PlayonLinux and the latest free Freecommander installed. Unfortunately it is almost 5 gb in size. It gives the same error I mentioned earlier: "an error occurred in the application" window that pops up every time one clicks on a drive or directory

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-c62 ... EZjQWx2Vzg

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 22.05.2016, 10:30

The maschine works fine.
Could you please send me short instruction how to update FreeCommander in the maschine?

freecicero

#7 Post by freecicero » 22.05.2016, 15:53

Marek:

1 From the "Games" menu, select PlayOnLinux.
2. From the Play-On-Linux, select "INSTALL," then "INSTALL A NON-LISTED PROGRAM"
3. As you step through the menu, it will ask:

"What would you like to do:
Install a program in a new virtual drive
Edit or update an existing application.

If you choose the second option above, it will install your updated exe file in the existing wine folder and replace the old program.

I think that is what you are asking, if not, please let me know, and thanks!

freecicero

#8 Post by freecicero » 22.05.2016, 15:55

Also, the program files themselves can be found installed at the following location:

/home/freecommander/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Freecommander32/drive_c/Program Files/FreeCommander XE

Marek
Author
Author

#9 Post by Marek » 22.05.2016, 17:49

I can find the location /home/freecommander/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Freecommander32/drive_c/Program Files/FreeCommander XE
and I can start "INSTALL A NON-LISTED PROGRAM" but I do not know how to copy the exe file from my disc.
The network in your maschine is empty and the internet browser does not work.

Marek
Author
Author

#10 Post by Marek » 22.05.2016, 18:08

Ok, I use USB device for the transfer and it works.

Marek
Author
Author

#11 Post by Marek » 22.05.2016, 18:53

I have send you per PM the download link for the changed version. It was very small change and it seems to work now.

freecicero

#12 Post by freecicero » 23.05.2016, 01:11

EXCELLENT Marek!

I now have your tweaked version running on my machine and it looks great!

I won't expect miracles and I won't pester you for improvements but I will probably edit this response and post commentary as I explore what works and what doesn't.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

freecicero

Re: User Collaboration to Get FC Working In Wine (SOLVING!!!

#13 Post by freecicero » 23.05.2016, 03:56

Marek I am pleased to report great success in testing out the program. I am experiencing no program faults at all. I am even getting (after some fiddling) the wlx viewers to work in the quick preview pane, which I dared not hope would be successful.

I am now able to set this up in sort of an "Outlook mail" format, with a tree (including your excellent FAVORITE tree) on the left column, a detailed listing of files in the middle column, and a "quick preview" of the file (generally a word processor or spreadsheet or picture file) in the right hand column.

This is something I have been totally unable to accomplish in Linux. Doublecommander is promising, but totally unable to use wlx listers in Linux. None of the other major file managers in linux, as far as I can tell, even attempt to provide such previews of office files (I think some can do pdfs though).

At any rate I thank you again and I will monitor this thread and try to be of help to anyone else who wants to try this.

freecicero

Re: User Collaboration to Get FC Working In Wine (SOLVING!!!

#14 Post by freecicero » 23.05.2016, 04:34

I've run into one issue, probably nothing that I can't figure out, but here it is:

When double-clicking on a program to "launch" it according to the file type association, I am not getting anything launched whatsoever. I am off to do some digging....

- Ok, definitely an issue here. My file associations work in wine explorer when doubleclicking on a "doc" file (for example) but nothing happens when I double-click on the same file in FreeCommander. Likewise, rightclicking and selection "open" or even "properties" does nothing. Something is causing it to fail to launch.

freecicero

Re: User Collaboration to Get FC Working In Wine (solving)

#15 Post by freecicero » 03.06.2016, 01:46

Thought I would report further that I have tested this on several of my linux setups and continue to experience the same problem - doubleclicking or attempting to open files in an external program seems to produce no result and no error message.

I will keep trying and report if I make any progress.