Please Help

Discussion, questions and support.
SetCollectorIL

Please Help

#1 Post by SetCollectorIL » 23.05.2016, 14:58

So i downloaded this software hoping it will be the answer to my prayers only to find out i have no idea where to even begin.
here goes my question:

I'm a photographer and i have thousands of folders with sets of photos.
each folder's name is the subject matter in the folder.

what i need is to create a sample gallery of my work with sample images taken from each folder (one image taken from every folder) and to rename them (the images) as the name of the folder.

Example:
if i have three folders, with 2000 images in each (all of which are "img_0001, img_0002 etc)
but the folders names are all differet, say "holland", "russia" and "usa".
i would like to get three images, one from each folder and to have them named each like to folder it was taken from
and to have holland.jpg, russia.jpg and usa.jpg.

the images taken from the folders can be random if that's easier.

can this software do this automatically??

afh

Re: Please Help

#2 Post by afh » 23.05.2016, 23:43

1. Apply flat view (CTRL+B). This means that you must be in the parent folder of the pictures folder (it will take a while to show all the files if there are a lot...)

2. In Quick filter you put some filter that will retrieve only 1 file for each subfolder (for example, img_0001).

3. Select all the remaining files and rename (CTRL+M). In "File name" instead of "[n]" insert "[p]"

4. Do not close the "Multi rename" window. Go to the panel, select all the files with the new names and copy where you want.

5. Go back to "Multi rename" window and undo the changes (so that you will keep img_0001 in my example in each folder).

It would have been easier if "Multi renamer" had the option of "copy" and "move" along with "rename". Advanced renamer (https://www.advancedrenamer.com/) has this option so you better use that renamer.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 24.05.2016, 00:59

If the names would be like img0001 in each folder, then there's an easier (and much faster) way, you can use the Search feature, search for 0001, then click the button "Export to file container", and you can multi rename...

Anyway, afh, it's a very good idea, just the problem is, if the names are different, or date is used as names (e.g. 2016-05-23 22-34-49).

afh

#4 Post by afh » 24.05.2016, 09:23

Dreamer wrote:Anyway, afh, it's a very good idea, just the problem is, if the names are different, or date is used as names (e.g. 2016-05-23 22-34-49).
Actually, I see now that you don't need to filter the files.
Just select all files in flat view, and since the new names will conflict, only 1 file per each folder will be renamed.

SetCollectorIL

#5 Post by SetCollectorIL » 24.05.2016, 09:45

This doesnt really answers my question i think...
A. What if some folders have fikes named diffarently? (IMG, SDC etc.)
B. I wanted to rename every image to the name of its parent folder where it was taken from

Timon

#6 Post by Timon » 24.05.2016, 10:12

This doesnt really answers my question i think...
A. What if some folders have fikes named diffarently? (IMG, SDC etc.)
B. I wanted to rename every image to the name of its parent folder where it was taken from
If you "want to rename every image to the name of its parent folder where it was taken from" then you'll get only 1 image in a folder (all other files would be overwritten, because they have equal names).
But you can give name of parent folder + counter. Open parent folder, select all necessary files, Ctrl+M, Pattern - File name: select [p][c] from dropdown list, where [p] - folder, [c] - counter.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 25.05.2016, 19:57

OK, if you want to rename all images, you can use just Multi rename, Timon is right, you'll need the counter, but you can rename all images in all folders at once.

- select all folders with files (Ctrl+A)
- press F2
- use options "with subfolders" and "only files"
- Counter options should be 1/1/4
- use "Reset per folder" option
- use [p] [c] as file name pattern
* you can use also [n] to preserve the old name
* you can use [exif_taken] to use date and time in the filename
- Enter

Then use the "Search files/folder" and search for 0001 in the folder with all subfolders with images, Enter, wait for the results, Export all items (Ctrl+E), copy the files wherever you want. Hope this is what you wanted, one image from each folder, with the name of the folder. :)