Tree attempts to enumerate all network devices = SLOW

Discussion, questions and support.
jtchurch925

Tree attempts to enumerate all network devices = SLOW

#1 Post by jtchurch925 » 03.04.2017, 15:08

Hi There,

Love FreeCommander! Thank you for developing it and making it available.
I do have a issue that I've searched through the forum for the answer for and haven't found -but maybe I'm missing something simple or searching for the wrong thing.

I prefer the functionality of the Tree on one side as I navigate network file shares, of which there are many. When the tree is opened however (or if the tree is open by default and FC is started) it becomes unresponsive for a few minutes while it attempts to connect to all network devices at the root of the tree, which in my environment happens to be thousands of workstations which I will never need to connect to via FC). Is there any way to prevent FC from enumerating all these devices automatically?

Again, I apologize if this is a simple thing I have overlooked. I really have tried to figure this out before creating a post.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Tree attempts to enumerate all network devices = SLOW

#2 Post by Marek » 05.04.2017, 20:22

Try to define:
TreeUseThreadForSubfolderCheck=0
in the [Form] section of the freecommander.ini and check if it help.
When you save the changed freecommander.ini FreeCommander must be closed.

jtchurch925

#3 Post by jtchurch925 » 05.04.2017, 20:48

Hey Thanks! Unfortunately that didn't seem to do the trick. No difference in the UI behavior was noticed. Again, appreciate you looking into it though. I don't need to update my app for the ini change to make a difference do I?

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 05.04.2017, 20:57

I suppose you use the current release >= 740? So you do not need update.
Could you send me some screnshots from the tree, I would like to see where in the tree are the workstations hanging?

jtchurch925

#5 Post by jtchurch925 » 05.04.2017, 21:59

PM sent! Thanks again.

Marek
Author
Author

#6 Post by Marek » 05.04.2017, 22:16

Have you tested the options under Settings->Network?

jtchurch925

#7 Post by jtchurch925 » 05.04.2017, 22:39

The delay between using FC and Windows Shell for network loading is almost the same (I used a stopwatch).
I already had 'Use cache' and 'Load network in background process' turned on. Turning off did not improve performance.
I will say, that once it enumerates the all the workstations in the tree and finishes, I can continue to use FC without further delays even when opening different domain file shares in different tabs, it does not need to reconnect and repopulate the workstations in the tree.

Don't waste too much time on this. I just thought perhaps there was something simple I was missing. An option to prevent it from connecting to other network devices when using the tree -like having it start the tree not at the domain root or anything, but just the network share folder from my favorite. Have that be the root of the tree and expand from there, but not further back up the domain trying to connect to and enumerate everything else.