Search containing text doesn't work for Word or PDF files

Discussion, questions and support.
womba

Search containing text doesn't work for Word or PDF files

#1 Post by womba » 28.09.2017, 10:12

On the face of it the Freecommander search tool is so much better than Windows, but only if it works!

Using Search files/folders in a a folder with many sub-folders, entering only under the Location tab, if I search for File name *.docx or *.pdf, leaving the 'Containing text' field blank, all the relevant files will be found. But if I add a single word into the 'Containing text' field, a word which I know occurs in multiple files, no files will be found. The same search under File name "*.txt" successfully finds files with given text. But it is Word files and PDF files which I am interested in.

When I found this occurred I downloaded the latest program version for reinstallation but it made no difference. The Windows 7 search tool succeeded in finding the files I was searching for.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Timon

Re: Search containing text doesn't work for Word or PDF files

#2 Post by Timon » 28.09.2017, 18:38

If you want to search text in *.rtf;*.docx;*.xlsx;*.pptx;*.doc;*.xls;*.ppt;*.sxw;*.sxc;*.sxi;*.sxd;*.odt;*.ods;*.odp;*.odg;*.pdf;*.eml files you need to use converter http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/e ... erter.html
But it is available only for donor versions.

Or even in public version you can in 'Find files/folders' select 'Search in office xml' (it appears only when you write some text in 'Containing text' ) but as I remember, in that case search in pdf files doesn't work.

womba

#3 Post by womba » 29.09.2017, 05:29

Thanks for the response.

Because I have a 64-bit system, I paid $US5 in order to get that version (using a different username and password). However, as I have since reinstalled another free version due to the limitations of the search tool (without checking the emails from FC), apparently I cannot download the 64-bit program again, nor am I able to access the necessary file you refer to.

Not only does the search tool, as it stands, have distinct limitations but also Freecommander cannot see my Android mobile, whereas Windows recognizes it. The current approach to selling software is to allow whatever is on sale to be used by the prospective buyer for free for a trial period. I recently paid $US100 for a program I downloaded, but only after seeing it operate fully functioning for a week trial period.

You say the search tool will work for Word and PDF files after using a 'converter' file, whatever that means. If it means I would have to convert every Word or PDF file to another format before searching, the effort would not be justified. If it means conversion of the software so that it could search those files, it would still mean paying for something I have not seen work, I have already done that once to my disadvantage. Why wasn't that function included in the original software I downloaded because it seems an obvious requirement? I am not the only one who uses PDF and WORD files.

I assume that $5 would have allowed me to download the converter file you referred to during the first day following the payment. But neither the limitation, nor that requirement was ever made clear to me at the time of my payment.

Karol

#4 Post by Karol » 29.09.2017, 10:03

You say the search tool will work for Word and PDF files after using a 'converter' file
For searching in the word files you do not need converter.

Timon

#5 Post by Timon » 29.09.2017, 11:25

The current approach to selling software is to allow whatever is on sale to be used by the prospective buyer for free for a trial period. I recently paid $US100 for a program I downloaded, but only after seeing it operate fully functioning for a week trial period.
You have ability to use public FC XE version fo free.
If it means I would have to convert every Word or PDF file to another format before searching, the effort would not be justified.
You don't need to convert anything.
I assume that $5 would have allowed me to download the converter file you referred to during the first day following the payment. But neither the limitation, nor that requirement was ever made clear to me at the time of my payment.
Converter is a 3-rd party software from other developer and it is absolutely free.

P.S. It's better to try to do something first, and then write a review.