Configuration problem with 32-bit on 64-bit OS

Discussion, questions and support.
Context

Configuration problem with 32-bit on 64-bit OS

#1 Post by Context » 01.11.2017, 06:46

I've installed the 32-bit version (portable) of FreeCommander on my Win7 64-bit PC.

All the features seem to work except for two that I've noticed:
1. No context menu is displayed when I right-click on a file name. There is no Properties choice, for example.
Instead, FreeCommander tries to open the file and gets an error when I decline.
2. The 'X' button at the top of the window also tries to run some program.

In both instances, I get a error dialog referencing FcContextMenu64.exe and indicating "operation was cancelled by the user".

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Configuration problem with 32-bit on 64-bit OS

#2 Post by Dreamer » 01.11.2017, 14:40

How to report a bug (Read before posting!)

• Make sure you use the latest version of FreeCommander.

• Report the FreeCommander version and operating system. E.g. "FreeCommander XE 2014 Build 650, Windows 7 SP1 64-bit".

• Try to reproduce a bug with default settings and without plugins. To do this use these command line parameters (your old setting files will be preserved):

/N /NewIni=FreeCommanderTest.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English

Useful links:
http://freecommander.com/en/faq-freecom ... g-32-on-64
http://freecommander.com/en/version-summary/

I'm not sure what you mean by "X button", you mean the X button in the title bar, tab-bar? If you're using some software for your mouse, try to disable it.

Context

#3 Post by Context » 01.11.2017, 15:22

Thanks for your response.

FreeCommander XE 2017 Build 740 32-bit public ... on Win7 64-bit SP1

I want to mention that, regarding bug reporting, I have only just installed FreeCommander and am reluctant to call anything a bug when there's a 99.9% likelihood that I don't have it set up properly.

That said, I had seen references to “%windir%\sysnative, but thought that it was related to some kind of advanced use. My assumption is that the portable version (32-bit software) would install and operate properly with its default settings. Is that not the case?

The "X" that I mentioned is the Close Button on the top right of the FreeCommander window, the same as on all application windows.

From the sources you've cited, it looks like FcContextMenu64.exe is the basis of the problem. Unless someone has another suggestion, I'll try the method listed under Solutions ... although it appears to be a rather drastic measure for a default installation.
"From Windows Vista X64 on the hidden alias “Sysnative” exists for the genuine “System32” folder. To access the genuine “%windir%\system32” folder “%windir%\sysnative” can be used. Under the menu item “Favorites → Favorites edit…” a new favorite can be added, with “%windir%\sysnative” in the input field “active panel”."
I say that because almost all the applications that I have on my PC are 32-bit applications and I have never encountered such a requirement to make them operate ... especially with something as basic as the window close button. Please let me know if I'm misinterpreting the situation and the solution.

Thanks, again.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 01.11.2017, 15:44

Context menu in 32 bit version should work good, including the "Properties" item, just the 64-bit programs are not visible, also the X - close button must work good.

It looks there is something wrong with your system or FC configuration. I can't test it with Win7, everything works good with Win10 x64 and 32-bit FC version.

Please try to install the latest build 760 bublic beta into the new folder, test with default settings.

Context

#5 Post by Context » 01.11.2017, 17:58

I found it!

Playing a hunch, I used another file manager to inspect the properties of FcContextMenu64.exe AND FOUND IT BLOCKED ... just like the CHM file I discovered in my other post.

This brings up two important questions:
1. At what point are these important files being set to "blocked"? ... and by what program (Windows? ... Unzip? ... other?)
2. How can the installation process of Portable FileCommander be changed to avoid this situation?

I found the following ominous statements on microsoft.com ... but I want to reiterate that I haven't run into this issue with other software ... even "portable" versions.
By default, these files are blocked to protect the computer from untrusted files.

Before using the Unblock-File cmdlet, review the file and its source and verify that it is safe to open.

Internally, the Unblock-File cmdlet removes the Zone.Identifier alternate data stream, which has a value of "3" to indicate that it was downloaded from the Internet.
Although I've solved my immediate issue, I'd sure like to hear how this happened and what others can do to avoid the same situation.

Context

#6 Post by Context » 01.11.2017, 18:53

As a further breadcrumb on the trail to a solution, I found this reference on an msdn blog:
Important: ZIP files should be "unblocked" before their contents are extracted.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/delay/ ... oadedfile/

Indeed, I found that both of the ZIP files I downloaded show Property=Blocked in my download directory.
• FreeCommanderXE-32-public_portable.zip
• FreeCommanderXE_chm_en.zip

So, the remaining question is: where did the blocked state get set? ... by which program ... at which step?
:

ralfso

#7 Post by ralfso » 02.11.2017, 06:14

Context wrote: 01.11.2017, 18:53
So, the remaining question is: where did the blocked state get set? ... by which program ... at which step?
:
Windows 7 and newer:
Microsoft blocked chm-files for security reason by default.
The solution is to right click the file, and click the 'unblock' button at the bottom:
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545