How to fix weak font on selection dialog?

Discussion, questions and support.
Context

How to fix weak font on selection dialog?

#1 Post by Context » 10.11.2017, 15:06

Would anyone happen to know what setting controls the font for file selection dialogs?

I've had good success setting the fonts for all other parts of FreeCommander XE Portable. As a result, the font that's used for the popup panel looks "weak", by comparison.

Thanks in advance for any help. (I'm running Version 740 on Win7 Pro SPI and use one of the standard themes for the desktop.)

Marek
Author
Author

Re: How to fix weak font on selection dialog?

#2 Post by Marek » 10.11.2017, 16:48

It is Windows dialog.

Context

#3 Post by Context » 10.11.2017, 20:06

It is Windows dialog.
How, then, can I change the font on a Windows dialog?

But maybe a better question is: of the 20+ applications on my Win7 PC, why does the weak font only occur in FreeCommander dialogs. In other words, for the same kind of file selection dialog, ALL other applications display a nice font. Does FreeCommander make a different kind of call?

I really want to understand what's behind this. FreeCommander is so good that having this weak text appear is a distraction.

Context

#4 Post by Context » 11.11.2017, 00:42

Some clarification:

I used the word "distraction". But to a new user, it might appear to be a "glitch" ... as in "what setting do I have wrong?" ... or "is this a bug in the software?" ... and even: "if this is a bug, what other bugs are there?".

I think all these things occurred to me the first time I saw it. And I have 20+ years of experience with PC software.

I've attached a screen capture from another file manager program on the same PC. Maybe it's using a different Win7 dialog, but the font matches other dialog fonts.

That's about as much as I can add. Hopefully, it can be smoothed out in a future version.

Thanks for your response.

Context

#5 Post by Context » 11.11.2017, 01:04

One additional point ... and I may be totally off base with this:

The font appears to be Microsoft Sans Serif ... a fairly crude font.

So, is it possible that FreeCommander is using MS Shell Dlg, while the other programs are using MS Shell Dlg 2?

That would explain why a better looking font (Tahoma) is being used. But is it as simple as that? If so, then I suppose I can edit my registry. Personally, I have no use for MS Sans Serif. But I guess it could affect other things.

An example of the registry-defined font substitutions from my PC is attached.

Context

#6 Post by Context » 21.11.2017, 18:08

I want to report that changing the font (in the registry) for MS Shell Dlg did not help the situation.

For reference, here's a solution for the same problem that was reported for a different application: http://www.raize.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=515

I can't begin to know what change would be required for FreeCommander. But it would seem to indicate that the font can be specified.

And here's one more reference I found that appears to apply: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx

Marek
Author
Author

#7 Post by Marek » 22.11.2017, 21:11

Ok, I have found the possibility to change the font.

Context

#8 Post by Context » 24.11.2017, 17:31

That is good news. Thanks for looking into the issue.

Is there a change a user can make in their PC's runtime environment? Or will it have to be in a future release of FreeCommander?