Any setting to detect external update to current files?

Discussion, questions and support.
Context

Any setting to detect external update to current files?

#1 Post by Context » 17.11.2017, 19:23

FreeCommander is pretty good at keeping the current folder/file panel updated when moving or deleting files ... whenever FreeCommander is performing the operation.

But I've noticed that the list does not update when some external program deletes a file. I've used other file managers that somehow sense the change and immediately update the displayed list. FreeCommander offers an 'refresh' button, of course. But is there some setting that can sense a change? Below are the settings I currently use.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Context on 18.11.2017, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Any setting to detect external update to current files?

#2 Post by Dreamer » 17.11.2017, 20:03

I can't confirm this issue, I tried with default settings, same options as on your screenshot, created file and folder, deleted, in explorer and other file manager, content in FC is updated immediately.

You can try the last option "Refresh when FC is activated" - but it's just a workaround, it should work without this option.

You can try also default settings.

Context

#3 Post by Context » 18.11.2017, 04:30

Thanks for your response.

Per the information in your post, I did a test using Windows Explorer to delete individual files ... and watched FreeCommander's window. The window updated properly each time ... and it was not the window that had focus.

My earlier results involved a 3rd-party program that automatically deletes a file upon finishing. As I observed, the file always remained in the displayed list ... but disappeared upon a refresh.

I'll try to confirm that result in the next couple of days. I certainly hope it was due to something else and that FreeCommander works as you've indicated. Some kind of file lock or busy state comes to mind as a possibility.

I'll post my results.
Last edited by Context on 18.11.2017, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

Karol

#4 Post by Karol » 18.11.2017, 14:57

FileCommander is not FreeCommander

Context

#5 Post by Context » 18.11.2017, 15:11

Thanks for pointing that out. I preview my posts ... but I was reading right past such an obvious (now) mistake. It is corrected.