Color Schemes - Discussion

Discussion, questions and support.
JDN

Re: Color Schemes - Discussion

#31 Post by JDN » 18.05.2018, 23:20

OK. Thank you kindly for your help. If I find a solution, I will let you know.

Heh. Heh. I tried your suggestion and changed my Windows theme from "Windows Basic" to "Windows Classic" and that cleared up the problem. The window is perfectly readable now.

I'm laughing because it took me less than one minute to solve this problem using your suggestion and I've been struggling with it for a week now.

Many thanks.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#32 Post by Dreamer » 19.05.2018, 00:26

You're welcome.

I think it's not normal, that the text is unreadable when using original "Windows Basic" theme, but I'm not sure if is more Windows or FreeCommander issue.

JDN

#33 Post by JDN » 19.05.2018, 03:08

Dreamer wrote: 19.05.2018, 00:26 You're welcome.

I think it's not normal, that the text is unreadable when using original "Windows Basic" theme, but I'm not sure if is more Windows or FreeCommander issue.
Well, hopefully Marek may have something to say. In the meantime, I will post a request for some help on a tech support board to which I belong and I will let you know whatever I learn.

Thanks again.

JDN

#34 Post by JDN » 19.05.2018, 06:23

Hello Dreamer,

I was mistaken in my last post. The problem was not due to the theme. It was because the Active Title Bar has two colors (Color1 and Color2) and they were both set to Dark Blue. I like it that way.
But when I changed the theme from Windows Basic to Windows Classic, the colors of the Active Title Bar was set to two different colors. That was what solved the problem. That was what made the label "General" possible to see again.

So people who experience this problem do not have to go to the extreme of changing their Windows Theme. All they have to do is change the colors in the "Window Color" applet (in the "Personalize" applet) so that the two colors are not both dark blue. I think it worked fine when I set Color2 to white.

I wanted to tell you this so you had a more accurate idea of what was causing this problem.

I thank you kindly once more for your suggestion. After I tried your suggestion, in just a minute, my problem was solved.

Forez

#35 Post by Forez » 30.05.2018, 19:18

Forez wrote: 02.04.2018, 19:05 [...]
And so I am not able to tell how now my Menu looks like, as I do not see it [unless I revert to >>Integrate favorite toolbars with action toolbars<< being turned on - the state in which I do not get the red / yellow test colors]
Recently I was tampering some more with color schemas - but this unfortunately still holds out

Dreamer
Site Admin

#36 Post by Dreamer » 30.05.2018, 23:33

Forez wrote: 30.05.2018, 19:18
And so I am not able to tell how now my Menu looks like, as I do not see it [unless I revert to >>Integrate favorite toolbars with action toolbars<< being turned on - the state in which I do not get the red / yellow test colors]
Recently I was tampering some more with color schemas - but this unfortunately still holds out
You can't see the menu?? Could you upload a screenshot, please? You can try to move the toolbars, maximize FC window...

Forez

#37 Post by Forez » 15.06.2018, 15:00

Yes, my Menu disappears. And yes, I tried changing size and re-opening FC, moving toolbars around or reducing their number etc.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=165 ... 4073145544

Forez

#38 Post by Forez » 15.06.2018, 15:04

How about the Quick Starter - the color of the the down left corer box?

Is there a way to change the colors displayed by the box that is in the lower left corner of the Quick Starter window [available with CTRL + SHIFT + J]? Apparently under the

Tools > Setttings > Quick Search / Filter / Starter > Quick Starter

there are only two option concerning colors, none of which control that box

Dreamer
Site Admin

#39 Post by Dreamer » 15.06.2018, 21:05

Forez wrote: 15.06.2018, 15:00 Yes, my Menu disappears. And yes, I tried changing size and re-opening FC, moving toolbars around or reducing their number etc.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=165 ... 4073145544
Really strange, perhaps you could send your ini to Marek. It's not normal that menu is invisible, it looks like bug - and I don't think it's a "color schemes" related issue. Can you confirm it with default settings, while not using any color scheme? What about menu keyboard shortcut (it's configurable)?
Forez wrote: 15.06.2018, 15:04How about the Quick Starter - the color of the the down left corer box?

Is there a way to change the colors displayed by the box that is in the lower left corner of the Quick Starter window [available with CTRL + SHIFT + J]?
It looks it's not possible, perhaps the same color as quick filter could be used, at least...

Phuturist

#40 Post by Phuturist » 16.06.2018, 08:06

@Dreamer do you have any indication on when the elements that can't be changed will also be changeable. I invested some time in creating a scheme that matches my preferences just to find it I can't get it right. Specially the columns header and lines between menus and panels.

I like free commander and I'm considering switching over from another explorer replacement but I'm quite picky when it comes to styling.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#41 Post by Dreamer » 16.06.2018, 12:43

Phuturist - I can't tell you if, when, which, but here is the info from the Guide topic:
The color of some elements can't be changed (probably it will be possible in the future):
  • Line between main menu and standard toolbar
  • Line between items panel and status bar
  • Columns header in Details view
  • Scrollbars
  • Gridlines
More here.

In my color schemes I'm using some workarounds:
- white color for address bar "background stop", so it looks better in details view
- no menu, menu toolbar button, so the white line is not visible

You can test my schemes, perhaps you'll find some inspiration (not just) for the workarounds, more here.

Forez

#42 Post by Forez » 16.06.2018, 15:27

Dreamer wrote: 15.06.2018, 21:05
Forez wrote: 15.06.2018, 15:00 Yes, my Menu disappears
[...]
Really strange, perhaps you could send your ini to Marek. It's not normal that menu is invisible, it looks like bug - and I don't think it's a "color schemes" related issue. Can you confirm it with default settings, while not using any color scheme? What about menu keyboard shortcut (it's configurable)?
Well, I did write
Forez wrote: 30.05.2018, 19:18 Recently I was tampering some more with color schemas - but this unfortunately still holds out
so I must have already checked that [or I just lied back then...]. An also in this post https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 397#p27397 I myself wrote
So as I understand this, it show me that is not an OS problem but a FC setting or bug. This is also confirmed by the fact that
[...]
Currently a friend of mind is suppose to check out those settings on his version FC- and then check out my settings. So then I can go with that [those settings of mine] to Marek; as this seems to be a bug

ON THE SIDE NOTE:

What you and I just wrote shows clearly that this form of discussion about Color Schemas does not work. We currently have different people talking about completely different things, which obscures our discussion [and vice versa] - you do not notice what I wrote and I have to dig through completely irrelevant post to my issues in this thread, just to remember back, what I already have established

ERGO:

Color Schemas are so profound, are so vast of a topic and will bring so many issues along with them in the following years, that we need on this forum to have either a separate discussion section for them. Or at least the forum's user should be allowed to start separate threads concerning Color Schemas

And to further fuel that above side motion but also in regards to my problem:

I recently have been updating my own Color Schema and checking out the Container feature and getting acquainted with other FC features / options that I do not use. And as a result my Quick Filter stopped working: whatever I wrote in it [be it something as simple and at the same time as common as a single letter "a"] I got zero results, even if there should be hundreds of them. And so I restored my settings from before I started to tamper with my FC configurations- and my Quick Filter was working perfectly once again [even with the same "plain a" and in the same folder, in which a moment ago it was showing nothing]

So the question here would be: was that another bug of that kind like with the menu [which that old bug I am inadvertently caring with my settings since I do not know when]; or did I accidentally just added some limitations / conditions to my Quick Filter, which are a normal [configurable thus reversible] thing? In other words: did I just prevented my FC from acquiring another bug by spotting it in time, or did I just clumsy clicked thus changed one of the options?

[Does any anyone beside me see how that last issue of mine is even more irrelevant to Color Schema; or colors in general for that matter? How it is of no interest to other question posted in this thread- and yet I had to post it here?]

Dreamer wrote: 15.06.2018, 21:05
Forez wrote: 15.06.2018, 15:04How about the Quick Starter - the color of the the down left corer box?
Is there a way to change the colors displayed by the box that is in the lower left corner of the Quick Starter window [available with CTRL + SHIFT + J]?
It looks it's not possible, perhaps the same color as quick filter could be used, at least...
That is exactly what I would like

And is this lack of control of this particular element already listed on the currently-not-controllable-list-of-colors?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#43 Post by Dreamer » 17.06.2018, 15:03

What you and I just wrote shows clearly that this form of discussion about Color Schemas does not work.
It does not work, because it's off topic, as I said, please read the first post of this topic:
Dreamer wrote: 05.12.2017, 20:41 Here you can comment default and user's color schemes, report the issues, unreadable text, make suggestions for existing color schemes and request the new color schemes. If you comment an existing color scheme, please provide a link or/and name from the Color Schemes - Files, so it will be easy to find it and reply.

Do not comment any general issues, missing custom color, or general feature requests, create a new topic instead, please.

There are some known issues / limitations, which should be fixed later, you can find the list in the Color Schemes - Guide topic. Before you start a new topic, please read this topic.
Or at least the forum's user should be allowed to start separate threads concerning Color Schemas
Why do you think you are not allowed to start a new topic? Again:

Do not comment any general issues, missing custom color, or general feature requests, create a new topic instead, please.

It's not just not easy for you, it's not easy even for me, moreover, I'm providing support here for free, in my free time, because I like FC - I can't answer all questions and I definitely can't solve any bug or add any feature. All I can do is to confirm a bug, or support suggestion, but again - it's not easy even for Marek, he is the only author.

All in all, please start a new topic for any of your issue related with general color schemes issues, you can use a prefix "Color Schemes - ", bugs in Bug reports and suggestions in Feature Requests forum, for bugs please use some steps to reproduce, so it's easier to read.

I think another forum just for Color schemes is not needed, it would be just complicated - bugs and suggestions together, it's just one of many FC features.
And is this lack of control of this particular element already listed on the currently-not-controllable-list-of-colors?
Added.

Forez

#44 Post by Forez » 22.06.2018, 14:45

Some other user has just confirmed the exact manifestation of that bug, when using my INI files. So now I will contact the developer
Dreamer wrote: 17.06.2018, 15:03
Or at least the forum's user should be allowed to start separate threads concerning Color Schemas
Why do you think you are not allowed to start a new topic?
Because this post of mine https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 88&p=27482 was split from a thread- but I apparently remembered in the other way around, as having been added to a thread
Dreamer wrote: 17.06.2018, 15:03 Do not comment any general issues, missing custom color, or general feature requests, create a new topic instead, please.
Well it started as "how to?" but ends up as "I have a bug!"
Dreamer wrote: 17.06.2018, 15:03 It's not just not easy for you, it's not easy even for me, moreover, I'm providing support here for free, in my free time, because I like FC - I can't answer all questions and I definitely can't solve any bug or add any feature
[...]
I also answer questions, whatever and whenever I can, not limiting myself to only posting questions; and write answers to my own threads if I happen to come up on my own with a valid solution, not just ditching a thread with an unresolved issue

Forez

#45 Post by Forez » 23.06.2018, 15:39

Forez wrote: 22.06.2018, 14:45 Some other user has just confirmed the exact manifestation of that bug, when using my INI files. So now I will contact the developer
[...]
Yes, Marek has confirmed there is a bug: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... =18&t=8715

Following his instructions from that new topic I was able to finally see my Menu in a different mode then the one in which I operate- thus with my colors chose by me, set in the
Dreamer wrote: 01.04.2018, 15:54 Menu > View > View style > Gradient - Custom > Define... > Menu tab* > Gradient start > Selection color
Menu > View > View style > Gradient - Custom > Define... > Menu tab* > Gradient stop > Selection color
So right now, until the bug will be taken care off, I will be still seeing my Menu with a wrong selection color, taken by FC from I do not know where

Thank you Dreamer for digging with me into this time consuming issue