FreeCommander's "DOS Box" can not use Windows 10's Linux commands

Discussion, questions and support.
LuisM

FreeCommander's "DOS Box" can not use Windows 10's Linux commands

#1 Post by LuisM » 13.11.2019, 18:42

Hi,
I am running Windows 10 with two free packages of Linux utilities. One is MSYS2, and the other is Microsoft's "Windows Subsystem for Linux" https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/about with Ubuntu. Both packages include the bash shell and several command-line utilities. I also have the free edition of FreeCommander. All these packages are up-to-date.

If I open a Windows command prompt (cmd.exe or powershell.exe) and type "wsl" or "wsl.exe", I get the bash shell of "Windows Subsystem for Linux". However, If I open FreeCommander's "DOS Box" y type "wsl" I get an error: 'wsl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

If I write the full pathname of "wsl.exe" I get the same error.

If I configure "DOS Box" command to specify "cmd.exe" or "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe", I get the same error. If I configure "DOS Box" command to specify "powershell.exe" I get more error lines, but they are saying the same thing.

If I run FreeCommander with administration rights, or if I create a FreeCommander's tool with administration rights, I get the same errors.

If I try the last portable beta of the free version of FreeCommander, I get the same errors.

If I configure "DOS Box" command to specify MSYS2's bash.exe, it opens MSYS2's bash shell. If I type "wsl", it opens the bash shell of "Windows Subsystem for Linux" without any trouble.

Thanks for a great program and best regards

LuisM

Re: FreeCommander's "DOS Box" can not use Windows 10's Linux commands

#2 Post by LuisM » 13.11.2019, 18:55

I forgot to mention that my Windows is 64 bit.

FreeCommander's "DOS Box" command can be MSYS2's bash shell, but not wsl.exe.

FreeCommander's "Run..." command can use MSYS2's bash shell, but not wsl.exe

nedy

Re: FreeCommander's "DOS Box" can not use Windows 10's Linux commands

#3 Post by nedy » 18.03.2021, 20:57

If you are using 32-bit Freecommander then you have to specify the fully qualified redirected path to wsl.exe, c:\windows\sysnative\wsl.exe.

Works for me.

I am using this favorite settings to open Linux shell in the current folder.

You can use "--cd %ActivDir%" as wsl Parameter to open wsl in a specific folder.

Hope this helps.