Inefficient Synchronising

Bugs and issues.
snowticket

Inefficient Synchronising

#1 Post by snowticket » 23.09.2014, 12:23

I'm using FreeCommander XE and I very much like the program and am currently using it to restore some old backups and to compare them with current directories, usually on different disks.

I also like using the CRC option, however, I've noticed that when you synchronise, the directory on the left skips back and forth between files, whereas the directory on the right goes through files one at a time. Looking at Task Manager on Windows 8.1, the drive which happens to be on the left side is active 100% of the time, or close to it, yet the read speeds are slow, I'm guessing because of seeking back and forth. The drive on the right is less active, but processes the CRCs more quickly.

I usually transfer between 5400rpm hard drives, the hard drives themselves being the bottleneck (either internal SATA or USB 3.0).

I wonder if files could be done one at a time? I think it would be more efficient this way. Over many GBs, I think it could save a lot of time. Judging by the Task Manager readouts from the old FreeCommander, it was done this way (though that crashes during the same synchronisations, so that's not an option in this case).

Thanks for reading!

Edit: I'm using FreeCommander XE2014 Build 650, Windows 8.1

vander

Re: Inefficient Synchronising

#2 Post by vander » 26.09.2014, 01:58

Yes, I noted also the much slower compare in FC_XE compared with the outdated FC. Especially on network drives its incredible slow.
Its actually faster to break the workflow, start a second tool and let it do the job :(

ketalar

#3 Post by ketalar » 05.10.2014, 08:29

vander wrote:Yes, I noted also the much slower compare in FC_XE compared with the outdated FC. Especially on network drives its incredible slow.
Its actually faster to break the workflow, start a second tool and let it do the job :(
- Same problem here...

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 05.10.2014, 20:24

I wonder if files could be done one at a time? I think it would be more efficient this way. Over many GBs, I think it could save a lot of time. Judging by the Task Manager readouts from the old FreeCommander, it was done this way (though that crashes during the same synchronisations, so that's not an option in this case).
Try to change the option "Count of worker threads" to 1 (Tools->Settings->File/folder list - General).

ketalar

#5 Post by ketalar » 06.10.2014, 11:55

[/quote]
Try to change the option "Count of worker threads" to 1 (Tools->Settings->File/folder list - General).[/quote]

- For me, it works better.
But what am I loosing by changing from "4" to "1" ??
Thank you,

snowticket

#6 Post by snowticket » 27.10.2014, 12:32

Marek wrote:Try to change the option "Count of worker threads" to 1 (Tools->Settings->File/folder list - General).
Thanks - I'll give this a go!

vander

#7 Post by vander » 15.07.2015, 22:12

It helps a lot on drives with slow access time, like CD-ROM. It helps a bit on harddisk (both folder on same disk).
There was no noteable difference on network drives.

Unfortunately I have the biggest issue with network folders.

Ralcan

#8 Post by Ralcan » 30.07.2015, 21:14

Hello,
I have also the same bug issue on a brand new instalation of FC:
* When called through Alt-S, the sync window flashes for a very short time and disappear. If I maintain Alt-S it comes up but show also the sync start window (see picture 1). If I clic "OK" the start sync disappears and I have an "Access violation" pop-up (see picture 2). Any other action let me come back to the main view.
* Change the option "Count of worker threads" to 1, doesn't solve the issue.
* Nevertheless, I noticed that the bug appears when the main folder has 3 or more sub-folder levels like: E:\Main_Folder\Sub-folder1\Sub-folder2\Sub-folder3\Files.
As soon as I get into the sub-folders to reduce the levels to 2 sub-folder level, it works... :x

Picture1
Picture2

I synchronize my local drive with a NAS connected on my computer.
For the moment I use an old version of Total Commander to do the sync on concerned folders.

FreeCommander XE 2015 Build 685a 64-bit donor / Windows 8.1 - 64bits. Both up to date.

Thanks for any feedback

Ralcan
RalCan

Marek
Author
Author

#9 Post by Marek » 31.07.2015, 13:45

In the last release 694 I have fixed two synchronization problems.