FreeCommander acting like its always on top

Bugs and issues.
Free4all

FreeCommander acting like its always on top

#1 Post by Free4all » 16.08.2015, 10:55

Test System: FreeCommander XE Build 685 32-bit Public on Win7 SP1 64-bit

I cannot figure this one out. It's a real head-scratcher.

Recently, FreeCommander started acting like its window is set as "Always on top". I have not changed any settings, nor have I installed any new software on the test system, except for patches, Windows Updates, and updated versions of existing software.

Most windows and message boxes now appear UNDER the FreeCommander window, including some of its own message boxes. It doesn't always happen, but happens often enough that I think FreeCommander has crashed, when in fact, it is just displaying one of its own message boxes under the FreeCommander main window.

There are no "Always on top" utilities installed, nor does this issue happen in any other program. The system tests clean of all malware by multiple AV engines.

What could be causing this behavior in FreeCommander?

Free4all

Re: FreeCommander acting like its always on top

#2 Post by Free4all » 20.11.2015, 09:44

I tried Avast Antivirus. When accessing Avast via the FreeCommander context menu, all Avast popups appear under the FreeCommander window. Anyone else experiencing this?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 20.11.2015, 19:56

Try to backup actual settings and then use one of the settings from backup. The path to FC, settings folder are in main menu > Help > About.

You can enable or disable always on top of any window / program with the HotkeyP, small, free, no install needed, just create new Hot key, as hotkey use any free shortcut, e.g. Win+O, as Command use:

Code: Select all

Always on top
Than go to FC window and use keyboard shortcut to disable/enable always on top. I'm not sure if it will fix the issue for good, if not, at least it's a good workaround.

You can also try to use default settings, to find if the problem is in settings.

Free4all

#4 Post by Free4all » 23.11.2015, 20:20

Dreamer wrote:Try to backup actual settings and then use one of the settings from backup. The path to FC, settings folder are in main menu > Help > About.

You can also try to use default settings, to find if the problem is in settings.
Thanks for the tips.

I tried deleting all FreeCommanderXE settings files (backing them up first, of course), and then re-running FreeCommanderXE. Wow! I didn't realize my customizations made such a difference in appearance! But regardless, windows still spawn underneath FreeCommanderXE. I'm stumped.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 24.11.2015, 00:38

I don't think it's the FC issue, the exe is same, OS is same, settings same...

What about the HotkeyP? It could help as workaround or even fix the problem completely.

Anyway, I still think it's some kind of virus, spyware... What about system restore? Perhaps you could go back, even few weeks, you can still go back if it doesn't help.

Free4all

#6 Post by Free4all » 30.11.2015, 07:26

Dreamer wrote:I don't think it's the FC issue, the exe is same, OS is same, settings same...

What about the HotkeyP? It could help as workaround or even fix the problem completely.

Anyway, I still think it's some kind of virus, spyware... What about system restore? Perhaps you could go back, even few weeks, you can still go back if it doesn't help.
This one is definitely a stumper.

I got rid of Avast and installed different AV/AM (AntiVirus and AntiMalware applications). FC is not exhibiting the symptom with the new AV/AM, so everything is working. I really don't know what was causing the issue.

I've scanned the system with multiple AV/AM engines (including using AV/malware scanners on separate boot media), and no virus/malware detected. I also keep a log of every file, stream, permission, service, and registry change, as well as a detailed firewall log, and nothing unaccounted there. So unlikely to have a virus or malware. Anything is possible given that we are talking about a Windows box, but all data points to a clean system.

Free4all

#7 Post by Free4all » 10.12.2015, 02:31

It started happening again. It seems to be a bit sporadic.

LibreOffice is now appearing underneath FreeCommander when I double-click on a spreadsheet file.

Rootkit, virus, and malware scans with multiple scanners continue to find nothing wrong. No other symptoms or unusual behavior.

No other programs having issues like this... only FreeCommander. Very strange.

If anyone else experiences FreeCommander acting like it is an "always on top" app, please do post your experiences. Maybe we can figure it out together.

alf5000

#8 Post by alf5000 » 10.12.2015, 12:08

I wouldn't be surprised if you incidentally cause that action by unintended Keyboard-Shortcuts / unintended MouseMovements.
The OS can definitely set any app 'Always on top'.
I suppose it is a Microsoft thingy - but not sure, of course.

Try to remember your last actions before it happened - I suppose that can solve that strange behavior.
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)