Folder - Compare doesn't show folder tree of compared files

Bugs and issues.
vsrawat

Folder - Compare doesn't show folder tree of compared files

#1 Post by vsrawat » 28.04.2016, 04:10

Not really a bug, but it is missing such an essential info that I thought to post here.

Actually, I have some dozens of backups created by slimcleaner across the years, in various installations of w7-w8-w10, that runs into several GB. I thought to compare them and keep only one set of backup drivers and delete rest of backup to save space.

When I Compared two such backup Folders, which have several sub-sub-sub folders, the list shown in the two panes below doesn't show folder tree of files.

How to we then find out which sub-folder these files are present in, and how many are not comparing from one sub-folder itself so that to quickly take some action, instead of one by one synchronizing?

Or do you suggest some way around to figure it out.

Thanks.

joby_toss

Re: Folder - Compare doesn't show folder tree of compared fi

#2 Post by joby_toss » 28.04.2016, 08:40

http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/en/Compare.html
Help file wrote:After activating the main menu item "Folder → Compare" or the shortcut "Alt+V" the contents of the folder in the left panel is compared to the contents of the folder in the right panel. The contents of files is not compared. Differences are highlighted in color.
You could use Folder->Synchronize...->Compare function to see the location of the compared items:
http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/e ... onize.html

vsrawat

#3 Post by vsrawat » 28.04.2016, 10:17

ok. As I am using in single pane, there is nothing in my right pane, so it is not working that way.

Seems I have to go through synchronize option only.

just that. When some command is not working, say, it didn't find two folders to compare, or it finds a file, it should give an error message to that we know what we have done wrongly.

There was an earlier post of mine complaining about if there is a file of same name already present in a folder, and we try to rename a second file to that existing file's name, it doesn't tell that that name file already exists, it gives very twisted message "can't do that", and we are at a loss as to what has gone wrong.

so come user-legible messages should be there whenever something doesn't work the way user wants to.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 28.04.2016, 11:08

I don't understand why you're trying to use Folder->Compare function using a single panel view?

And also why are you using a maximized single panel instead of View->Dual/one panel option? Just to have the splitter bar visible? You'll run into problems while doing so.

vsrawat

#5 Post by vsrawat » 28.04.2016, 17:04

joby_toss wrote:I don't understand why you're trying to use Folder->Compare function using a single panel view?

And also why are you using a maximized single panel instead of View->Dual/one panel option? Just to have the splitter bar visible? You'll run into problems while doing so.
Yes, you are right.
I am using a single panel only, through View->Dual/one panel option.
It is not one maximized panel of dual panel. That was my setup when I had started using fc ages ago, till I learned about dual/ one panel option. Then I had changed that but had forgotten. My age is showing. :-)

Thanks for reminding.
--
As far as using comparing in a single panel view is concerned, yes, that is logically possible.

In notepad++ we can open two files in two tabs, and it does compare them.
In fact, once it has compared and shown the results, we can switch one or both of the files to other files open in other tabs and recompare. it does that also.

So, when I can open two folders in the same panel, then why do I need to open two folders in two different panels?

My entire set up is single panel and I am used to that and comfortable with that, why should I change view to dual panel, just to compare?

Is there some technical impossibility in comparing two folders open in a single panel?

Actually I think, even if I have a single folder opened in a single panel, and there are more than one folder visible in the right hand file list details pane, and I select two folders of them, fc should be able to compare them.

Actually, when I reach Compare through synchronize bylane :-), it is allowing me to compare two folders without going to dual panel view, so fc is already capable of doing that, just the access path is not given.

Thanks.
--
Rawat

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss » 28.04.2016, 18:28

As my previous quote from the Help file states, that's the way Folder->Compare function was designed. I don't know if it's technically possible to make it work with one panel also, but I think you're the first one trying to achieve that. :)

vsrawat

#7 Post by vsrawat » 28.04.2016, 19:19

he he he,

not "trying to" achieve that, already achieved that.

I could go through sync option and could compare files in single panel itself. :-)

now it is up to the developer to provide a proper access route to this.

Thanks.