Multi-rename - need to prevent scroll changing fields!

Bugs and issues.
Philip Goddard

Multi-rename - need to prevent scroll changing fields!

#1 Post by Philip Goddard » 18.05.2016, 18:51

I love FC, and generally its Multi-Rename, but that function has just screwed up the names of virtually all my sound recordings (a LOT of them), so I'll have to restore them all from a backup because there's no way that I can restore the naming without a huge individual manual naming spree!

This is NOT a new issue, but one that I've kept getting sidetracked from reporting, but this time my stuff has really got screwed up and I have to report this now! :?

The problem is that I use a trackpad - I have to, for mice give me RSI - and if I inadvertently scroll (it can happen just if a finger is close to the scroll strip at the side without my intending to scroll at all), with focus in one of the fields, that field immediately loses what I've entered and replaces it with a previously saved value. That has been troublesome for me anyway, but what happened just now was that not only had the current Replace regex got lost and replaced by another value, but, without my consciously doing anything to cause it to happen, the files were immediately all renamed with the useless non-regex value, without my having a chance to do anything about it. As I say, I'll now have to restore all that lot from this morning's sync backup (a LOT of GB!) - but clearly I'm not going to use Multi Rename again with any sort of complex regex until I can be sure that the value in each of the fields cannot be changed by an inadvertent scroll action.

So, I don't know what to do to reproduce the actual rename that happened without my permission, but to reproduce the primary problem, just have focus on one of the utility's fields with a value entered, and with other values already saved for that field, and scroll your mouse or other pointing device. The value just entered will then be lost (not recoverable) and one of the saved values would be substituted. The need is for scrolling not to affect the contents of any of the fields.
--[url=http://www.philipgoddard.com/index.htm]Philip[/url]

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Multi-rename - need to prevent scroll changing fields!

#2 Post by Dreamer » 18.05.2016, 22:00

Just few suggestions. You can use the Undo feature, in menu > command > undo. If you use the similar actions often, you can use the profiles and option to activate profiles, then you will have to just select the profile with arrows and click Enter, no need to use trackpad. This is just a workaround, of course.

Philip Goddard

#3 Post by Philip Goddard » 18.05.2016, 22:20

Well, I'm blowed! I hadn't noticed that Multi Rename had an Undo facility! That's brilliant! I hope I'll remember that if I get a multi-rename operation go pear-shaped again.

This evening, once I'd restored the files I used a workaround in order to do the quite tricky regex multi-rename - I simply temporarily turned off the trackpad scrolling. However, that doesn't mean that the issue I raised doesn't need addressing, because (a) one isn't going to always remember to turn off scrolling before doing a multi-rename, and (b) the loss of a painstakingly worked-out long regex in the Find or Replace field before one has carried out a rename with it and thus caused it to be saved is itself really frustrating and timewasting, and cannot be undone!

Philip Goddard

#4 Post by Philip Goddard » 22.05.2016, 21:27

Thank you, Marek, for fixing this - very helpful! I can confirm that the fix works.

Actually I personally would prefer to have no scrolling in the fields even when the mouse / trackpad cursor is on the focused field, though of course scrolling of the drop-down list of saved entries for a field needs to be scrollable. Anyway, the very major part of my issue with scrolling in the Multi Rename window is now fixed, and so I'd rarely have further stresses in that department! :-)