Error opening Microsoft Office documents from a network drive

Bugs and issues.
Wilhar

Error opening Microsoft Office documents from a network drive

#1 Post by Wilhar » 24.07.2017, 11:38

Using FreeCommander XE 2017 Build 740 32-bit public

Issue: Error reported when opening Word documents (Microsoft Office) stored in a shared network drive.

In one hand, when FreeCommander is lauched using its launcher/icon, the following error is reported when double clicking any word document in the shared network drive:

In the other hand, when FreeCommander is lauched using the command window the documents opens normally with no errors (same as Windows explorer):

The FreeCommander shortcut points to the same executable launched via the cmd ("C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe").
It has nothing to do with user/admin rights (tested in both scenarios and problem persists).

Any idea why is this happening and how to fix it?

Thank you.

Wilhar

Re: Error opening Microsoft Office documents from a network drive

#3 Post by Wilhar » 25.07.2017, 10:59

Yeah, I had a look into it, but it appears that the issues are similar but maybe not quite the same (although they could be related?).

I believe this is a FreeCommander issue/bug because the document can be opened successfully when FreeCommander is started via the Command window as I mentioned above. But when it is started via the shortcut icon or via the Start-All Programs-FreeCommander... it fails to open the Microsoft Office documents that are stored in the network.
Otherwise, I would get that error always.

I cannot understand which is the difference between launching the application with its icon or with the cmd. But I found that trying what it is mentioned in the pinned post:
• Try to reproduce a bug with default settings and without plugins. To do this use these command line parameters (your old setting files will be preserved):

/N /NewIni=FreeCommanderTest.ini /NoPlugins /Lng=English
I saw that the bug was not reproduced launching FreeCommander using these paramenters, so, I started removing parameters and trying every time until to see if it was a settings issue, plugin issue, etc... but I reached the point where even with no parameters, the bug is not reproduced. And this should be, effectively, the same config/settings as opening the application using its icon.

Thank you.

Zorkoff

#4 Post by Zorkoff » 25.07.2017, 14:50

You should try creating a shortcut on the desktop by right clicking the FreeCommander icon and selecting "Send to Desktop".

Then test if that shortcut works. If it does work, replace the shortcut in the start menu with the one from the desktop.

You could also compare both shortcuts to see what is different.

Wilhar

#5 Post by Wilhar » 26.07.2017, 10:18

Just checked that, and issue still there.
I also tried some other things after you mentioned that:

1- Launch FreeCommander using "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe" from Windows Explorer (no shortcut): Issue is still there.
2- Launch the same as before but from the Run window (win+R and then "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe"): Issue is still there.
3- Launch a cmd window and the type "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeCommander XE\FreeCommander.exe": Issue not present (Working!)

So... I guess that the issue is maybe related to how the application is loaded in the system if you started it from the window environment or from the cmd... as there is no other difference. I cannot even see the difference between launching it using method 2 and 3...

That's a pretty strange behaviour.