Opening multiple music files of different filetypes only opens one type

Bugs and issues.
markvp

Opening multiple music files of different filetypes only opens one type

#1 Post by markvp » 01.04.2019, 17:14

Hi,

When I select multiple music files of different file types, that should be opened by the same application, only the files of one type are opened. E.g. if I select some mp3 files as well as some flac files in the same folder, and press enter, only the mp3 files or only the flac files are opened. They're both associated with the same music player (AIMP in my case, but also when I change the associated app to Windows Media Player for both). This doesn't happen with file explorer.

I noticed that this doesn't happen with image files of different types, e.g. if a select a jpg file and a png file, and press enter, they're both opened by the associated application (IrfanView in my case).

Details: I use FreeCommander XE 2019 Build 790a 32-bit public, on Windows 10 version 1803.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Opening multiple music files of different filetypes only opens one type

#2 Post by Dreamer » 01.04.2019, 20:15

Confirmed with 796 donor 64-bit, Windows 10 1809, AIMP.

Workaround - right click / application key + Open with AIMP works good, all files are opened.

Forez

#3 Post by Forez » 23.05.2019, 23:59

Confirmed for FreeCommander XE 2018 Build 770 32-bit public on Windows 7 x64

I am very into music and spend a lot of time dealing with audio files. I use Winamp 5.666. All my audio formats are associated with it. But on a daily basis I use: MP3, FLAC, WV, TTA, WAV. And from what I could notice I think this is what happens: FreeCommander sends the files in groups, one after another - leaving as the last one [thus the played one] the first group [set of files in the same format] in the player. I deduce that because I get a very brief flashes in the playlist area of Winamp, with different lengths of lists they try to present me

But I also have found another bug that sometimes manifests itself during such sending- aside from what is happening in Winamp, FC also sometimes sends one file [group of files?] to VLC 3.0.1. Although I am unable to find a pattern in that, as it happens rarely and VLC is my secondary backup media player [meaning I almost never use it]. But this is weird- why and how would FC decide to send some of the files to an software associated with them? And why only to VLC and not my Media Player Classic 1.7.10.252 [my main video and secondary audio player] and also not Bs.Player PRO 2.70 [which I stopped using for videos years ago]. Although maybe if I would execute such sending a 1000 times then maybe I would also end up with MP and Bs.Player receiving the files. Or maybe it is because VLC was installed as the last one - so FC somehow chokes the Winamp so much, that Windows tells FC that the audio player is VLC [because Winamp is completely hidden / unavailable for a split second]?

And also what is important: when I select and drag files to Winamp from FC there is never such problem [this is actually my modus operandi for playing when I am in FC]. Also dropping them on Mp3tag is not a problem. There is only this somewhat similar problem: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... =18&t=7106 . Maybe this has something to do with this newly found bug?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 24.05.2019, 18:14

Forez wrote: 23.05.2019, 23:59FreeCommander sends the files in groups, one after another - leaving as the last one [thus the played one] the first group [set of files in the same format] in the player. I deduce that because I get a very brief flashes in the playlist area of Winamp, with different lengths of lists they try to present me
Do you mean the same file type? If yes, then it's another issue and I think it's a Winamp bug, similar bug was fixed in Mp3Tag and it works good also with AIMP.

There is another issue - 15 items limit, this one is probably the Windows limit and I'm not sure if it can be fixed in FC.

Forez

#5 Post by Forez » 13.06.2019, 15:02

I meant that set of file = group = one and the same same file format

And this is not some 15 files limit / bug of operating system. This happens with as little as 2 files [= 2 file formats]

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 14.06.2019, 21:12

I'm sorry, I'm still not sure, so you mean 2 mp3 files, enter, only one mp3 file is playing in Winamp? If so, I still think it's a Winamp issue/behavior.

I don't have Winamp, but what about other files, you can try videos, text files, pdf files?

For example, 2 pdf files are opened in Sumatra, as 2 tabs, 2 txt files opened in 2 instances of Notepad, since it has no tab support, 2 mp3 files are opened correctly in AIMP, single playlist as 2 items, 2 video files are opened in single playlist in PotPlayer.

Forez

#7 Post by Forez » 09.09.2019, 16:35

Dreamer wrote: 14.06.2019, 21:12 I'm sorry, I'm still not sure, so you mean 2 mp3 files, enter, only one mp3 file is playing in Winamp?
I select 2 FLACs, 1 WVs, 3 MP3s- and press Enter. What do I get? A flash of a playlist containing 2 FLACs, followed by another that displays 1 WV file, finally settling with a playlist that has 3 MP3 files

And why MP3s? Because there were added the selection as last ones. If I would repeat the process starting the selection of files with MP3s and stopping at FLACs- a playlist of these 2 FLAC files would be played in the end in Winamp

This problem is now even more noticeable by me because my new operating system works considerably slower then the previous one [viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9687#p30182]. Back in June I would only see for a split of a second such 3 playlists- but now I can even hear the first file from each of them for a moment [assuming the file itself has an audible audio from the get go and some silence]
Dreamer wrote: 14.06.2019, 21:12 If so, I still think it's a Winamp issue/behavior.
[...]
I think not. And this new bug seems to be pointing in the same direction: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9794

The direction of FreeCommander having some deeply rooted problem with sending multiple files to third party software at the same time in a proper way

And as I mentioned- I have now a new set up. Back then it was Windows 7 & Winamp 5.666 and now it is Windows 10 & Winamp 5.8. And the problem persists [but yes- that could also tell us that it is the fault of Winamp]

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 09.09.2019, 20:15

As I said, I can confirm the original bug, also in 801...
Dreamer wrote: 01.04.2019, 20:15 Confirmed with 796 donor 64-bit, Windows 10 1809, AIMP.

Workaround - right click / application key + Open with AIMP works good, all files are opened.
OT - I switched to AIMP from Winamp, perhaps you could try it too, it has more features and it has a Winamp look.