Is install of new version directly over existing version ok?

Discussion, questions and support.
Bearded Kirklander

Is install of new version directly over existing version ok?

#1 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 08.09.2008, 21:09

Are there any problems if you install any new release of FreeCommander directly on top of an existing installation?

Or is FC designed so that you can install new or updated versions directly over your existing installation without any problems at all?

I'd appreciate some clarity. I'm sorry if I'm having brain fade today, but just wanted to be sure.

Thank you much,

BK

Marek
Author
Author

#2 Post by Marek » 08.09.2008, 21:33

You can install new or updated version over your existing installation. For safety you can first backup the files: freecommander.ini, freecommander.shc (if exist) and freecommander.ftp (if exist).

Bearded Kirklander

#3 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 08.09.2008, 22:32

Marek wrote:You can install new or updated version over your existing installation. For safety you can first backup the files: freecommander.ini, freecommander.shc (if exist) and freecommander.ftp (if exist).
Thank you. I just wanted to make certain that the product is indeed designed with the intent of being able to install over existing installations.

Some applications recommend that you do a complete UN-install first, then clean out the registry, etc. (Like ATI Catalyst Drivers and their cleanup app that you can run just after you uninstall the drivers).

Are those 3 files:

freecommander.ini
freecommander.shc
freecommander.ftp

the only 3 files that are needed to backup all of your settings and configuration information?

There are no entries in the registry or other areas that it relies on?

Thanks again,

BK

Marek
Author
Author

#4 Post by Marek » 09.09.2008, 20:43

Only the 3 files are important for backup.

Bearded Kirklander

#5 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 09.09.2008, 21:03

Marek wrote:Only the 3 files are important for backup.
Thanks very much for the reply, Marek.

Is there any possibility of adding a "Save Configuration" command so that n00bs can avoid having to manually find and backup those files, and a "Import a Saved Configuration" command to support that?

I figure it would be great if you had something like that in the menu system so that someone could recall all of their custom layouts, columns, multiple rename preferences, etc. in an easy method. Maybe a different name if Configuration sounds too foreign?

"Save Settings"
"Restore Settings"

You just prompt them for a folder in which to save the configuration, and copy whatever files make up the config over into there, and if they want to recstore a configuration, prompt them for the folder where those files are, and bam, no muss, no fuss.

Based on your replies, it seems that nothing is saved in the Registry, and I think that is a very good thing. I'm not a big fan of the Registry. Too complex for the average person to mess with. I very much like ASCII files in the classic INI format, which resides in the app installation folder.

Again, thanks for all that you do, including reply on these forums. I'm looking forward to the next betas - some great stuff is coming, I have a feeling.

Take care,

BK