Cannot rename files in a system dir

Discussion, questions and support.
rustyboy

Cannot rename files in a system dir

#1 Post by rustyboy » 29.08.2009, 11:50

If I try to rename a file in a system dir (eg C:\Program Files) FC won't let me. Other file managers pop up a Win 7 administrator confirmation but FC gives me an "Access is denied" message. This happens whether I use the dialog box for renaming or not. I cannot find any settings related to this and am wondering if it is the way FC interacts with Win 7. I have pictures of error messages but am not allowed to post them as I have not made more than 2 posts yet. Grrr.

I am not so sure this is a bug (it may be just me) so I am posting here not the bug forum. If I run FC as an administrator it works, but that means I have to confirm dialog boxes every time I start FC and it is very annoying.

Oh, latest donor version being used.

Now that I have posted, the pics are here:

http://i28.tinypic.com/8z42hk.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/34dq7op.jpg

rustyboy

Re: Cannot rename files in a system dir

#2 Post by rustyboy » 03.09.2009, 11:29

rustyboy wrote:If I try to rename a file in a system dir (eg C:\Program Files) FC won't let me. Other file managers pop up a Win 7 administrator confirmation but FC gives me an "Access is denied" message.
Is anybody using FC with Win 7? Is this behaviour able to be replicated?

Philip Goddard

#3 Post by Philip Goddard » 02.11.2009, 15:53

Yes, I got this problem, having done a clean install of Win7 from Vista nearly two weeks ago. It's associated with the abominable UAC of Win7, which is supposed to be more user friendly than in Vista, but in my experience is in some ways still more perverse. Owing to a serious bug in Win7's UAC, checking "Run as administrator" in the Compatibility tab in the program's Properties dialogue actually caused the program to get a UAC prompt at every loading, whereas it didn't while not 'elevated'.

I was able to get round that by using a little trick that you can find with a Google search, using the Task Scheduler. However, that caused an irritating slight delay every time the program was run (and similarly for other programs that I had to 'elevate' in that way), and altogether I've had so much aggro and stress from Win7's UAC (on the recommended upper middle setting) that I've now reluctantly turned it off altogether - and written to the Microsoft support people to tell them why.

So, now, working as an administrator without UAC I have only the very occasional prompt asking me for confirmation if I'm doing something in a 'sensitive' folder, and no real obstruction. My loss of UAC protection isn't the end of the world, because I'm very security conscious anyway and have several layers of security quite apart from UAC.
--[url=http://www.philipgoddard.com/index.htm]Philip[/url]

rustyboy

#4 Post by rustyboy » 02.11.2009, 22:19

Philip Goddard wrote:Yes, I got this problem, having done a clean install of Win7 from Vista nearly two weeks ago. It's associated with the abominable UAC of Win7, which is supposed to be more user friendly than in Vista, but in my experience is in some ways still more perverse. Owing to a serious bug in Win7's UAC, checking "Run as administrator" in the Compatibility tab in the program's Properties dialogue actually caused the program to get a UAC prompt at every loading, whereas it didn't while not 'elevated'.
I found the "run as administrator" to be dodgy as well.
Philip Goddard wrote:So, now, working as an administrator without UAC I have only the very occasional prompt asking me for confirmation if I'm doing something in a 'sensitive' folder, and no real obstruction. My loss of UAC protection isn't the end of the world, because I'm very security conscious anyway and have several layers of security quite apart from UAC.
Yes, it is annoying. I turned my UAC off as well. I suppose the ideal situation would be to be able to run a programme in "trusted mode". Thanks for your thoughts, Philip.

matera

#5 Post by matera » 03.11.2009, 08:10

Ha ha, there are those who laugh at me when I am not eager to upgrade to 7. Now I am all the happier with Vista, with bugs I know well ;)

Philip Goddard

#6 Post by Philip Goddard » 03.11.2009, 21:04

Not wanting to lead us off-topic, but the UAC problem in Win7 is exacerbated by there not yet being any 3rd party utilities to bring it to heal and make it behave in a user friendly manner. With Vista, UAC was just acceptable to me when used with Norton UAC and UAC Snooze - but the former currently doesn't install in Win7 and the latter does install and work, but causes trouble because it turns UAC fully on or fully off (only).
--[url=http://www.philipgoddard.com/index.htm]Philip[/url]