VLC as default video player

Discussion, questions and support.
freetools

VLC as default video player

#1 Post by freetools » 02.10.2009, 13:44

Hi, thanks for FreeCommander.
I installed VLC which registered itself as default player for all possible video formats.
Using Windows XP, Windows Explorer starts VLC when opening an avi file. In FreeCommander, opening such a file or selecting it with right-click and "Play", nothing happens. I have to select "Play with VLC media player".
I later added *.avi and connected it with VLC in Preferences:Applications, but nothing changed.

matera

#2 Post by matera » 02.10.2009, 23:36

If it doesn't start when double-clicked, it's a Windows problem, not a FreeCommander issue. Right click an avi file for Properties and change the "opens with" there.

talkstosocks

#3 Post by talkstosocks » 07.11.2009, 15:59

try this:

right click on an avi file and select "Open With" then "Choose Program"

you will be prompted to select from a list. select vlc, and check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

hit OK

this will make vlc the default for all of windows
Happy Monkey

vlcvideo

Re: VLC as default video player

#4 Post by vlcvideo » 27.05.2011, 21:41

Though this post is already old, I still want to give my own thought with regards to the matter. I Am presently using WMP..
There are two options.
1. Right click on the media file, and select Open With>Choose Program... Find VLC, and check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." Repeat for different extensions.
2. Open windows explorer. Go Tools> Folder Options. Cick the View File Types tab. Go through this and whenever you see a filetype you want to change, select it, and click Change next to Opens With:. Select VLC. Repeat for different extensions.
Thanks for sharing info!!

Piercecrom

Re: VLC as default video player

#5 Post by Piercecrom » 30.12.2017, 07:36

I'm used to playing videos with VLC player as it supports most video formats. It even allows user to play ISO on VLC.