Im afraid this is not what I wanted...

Discussion, questions and support.
AT85

Im afraid this is not what I wanted...

#1 Post by AT85 » 20.11.2009, 01:57

Hi everyone

Even if Im new here, this post will be long. I used to read forum rules and there doesn't say any limit of the text inside the post, also not any limit of the first post for newbies. So I hope I could please for assist or suggestion.

I haven't been user of this software for a long time, actually just a few days, probably I don't know much about it yet. The reason why Im already asking for help is because so far, I got completely different results from the software than the ones that I wanted - perhaps I use it wrong, perhaps the software cannot ''do'' what I want to.

I would like to compare unlimited amount of folders and subfolders at the same time - no comparasion of files should be done. Before I try to say what I need, I also want to say how my folders and subfolders look like and from where do I get parts of syntax. All of my subfolders and folders (and even files) contain the names according to the online music database discogs (www dot discogs dot com). To show one, random example:

www dot discogs dot com/Carl-Cox-Space-Calling/release/195715

The syntax of my folder is always ''Label Name''. The syntax of my subfolder is always ''[Catalog#] Name Of The Artist - Name Of The Release''. So In this example I have the folder with the name ''23rd Century Records'' and inside of it, I have the subfolder with the name ''[C23004] Carl Cox - Space Calling". Since Im talking only about comperasion between the folders and subfolders (without files), I won't mentoin files in this example - they have been designed before this comparasion need to be done and have nothing to do with this topic.

Im buying music a lot online - usually junodownload and audiojelly, thats why I want to fix my issue.

Now to the main part of the topic and what I expected from the software (did I want too much from it?):

I would like to check if I already have the same release in my collection. Of course this needs to be done before saving it / them (no matter 1 or 10000) to collection which is showed here: img dot photobucket dot com/albums/v309/Andreii/comperasion dot jpg My music collection is inside the 7 main folders with the red color (screenshot). All of the subfolders (into those main folders) are label's names. All of the subsubfolders (as knows as folders located inside the subfolders) are releases. The new releases, that need to be checked to make sure if I already have them, are inside the green color (screenshot). On the screenshot are just examples of label names (the folder names). For example instead of label ''Another Example'' could be ''Vandit Records'' or ''Kne' Deep'' or whichever label. So those labels and releases (green color) need to be checked to the old folders (my music collection – red color). So have to be checked with subfolders (name of the labels) and if the name of the subfolders is the same (same label name) then it has to check for the same subsubfolder (release) inside – IF release already exsist.

The second (and the last) comparasion that needs to be done is between new folders (labels – green color on the first screenshot) and the microsoft office word .doc file. The screenshot of my .doc file is here img dot photobucket dot com/albums/v309/Andreii/docfile dot jpg Inside this file is the list (made with command prompt DIR command) of music (labels and releases) that is NOT on my hard drive. As you can see in the screenshot, only two parts (label name, release id as known as catid) need to be compared with the new folder / labels shown on the first screenshot. Also here is purpose of comparasion the same – to find and delete the same releases (inside exsactly the same label name).

Actions when comparing:

A1 – only checks if the same release exsist inside the same label name. If nothing found (the same release is NOT already in the ''old'' folders and also NOT in the .doc file) then it doesn't do anything.
A2 – the subfolder (release) in the new folders (labels – majority damage of my whole music collection would be if release was deleted from old folders!!!) gets deleted from hard drive if the same release (inside the same label) is found – no matter in the old folders or in the .doc files
A3 – in case if the release that is deleted is the only release in the folder (label) then this folder will be empty and needs to get deleted too.
A4 – at the end of the label name, with one space also, needs to be the symbol ''(!!!!!)'' added. For example ''Something Recordings (!!!!!)''. Note the space between ''s'' and ''(''. Instead of ''s'' could be any else symbol such as a number, ''%'', ''$'' etc… This symbol says that in the .doc file the same label already exsist but not with the same release.

Criterias when comparing (all five of them are already obvious but to be understandable more…):

If is the same label (without the same release) inside the .doc file and if is the same label (without the same release) inside the old folders then the label (in the old folders) will have the symbol ''(!!!!!)''. Action A1 needs to be done.

If is the same label inside the .doc file (without same release) but the same label is NOT in the old folders then Action A4 needs to be done.

If the same label is NOT inside the .doc file but it is inside the old folders (without same release) then Action A1 needs to be done.

If is inside the same label (no matter in the .doc file or in the old folders) also the same release then Action A2 needs to be done. Possible Action A3 remains.

If the same label is NOT in the .doc file and also NOT in the old folders then the release doesn't even need to be checked. Action A1 needs to be done.

When searching for same releases; Two releases are also the same if their catid (always located between ''['' and '']'') are in the relaton shown below. I took random catid (KD) from the random chosen release Kne' Deep as the random number 16 just for example. It could be anything else (above is mentoined 23rd Century Records instead of Kne' Deep and therefore of course different catid):

KD = Kd = kd
KD16 = KD 16
KD016 = KD-016
KD16 = KD-16
KD 016 = KD-016
KD 16 = KD-16
KD 16 = KD – 16

KD016 = KD0-16
KD 016 = KD 0-16

KD016 = KD0016
KD016 = KD 016
KD0016 = KD 0016
KD16 = KD0016
KD016 = KD 0016
KD016 = KD 16
KD0016 = KD 016
KD016 = KD16
KD0016 = KD 16

KD-16 = KD-016
KD-16 = KD-0016
KD-16 = KD16
KD-16 = KD016
KD-16 = KD0016
KD-16 = KD 16
KD-16 = KD 016
KD-16 = KD 0016

KD0016 = KD016
KD0016 = KD16
KD 0016 = KD 016
KD 0016 = KD 16

Hopefully I showed all possible combinations.

Besides this it can happen that exsactly the same label has two different names, for example in the case of abbreviation. The label ''FSOE Recordings'' is the same label as ''Future Sound Of Egypt Recordings''. In this situation I (already written) have the folder:

''FSOE Recordings (= Future Sound Of Egypt Recordings)''

In that case the same label would be found if searching for ''FSOE Recordings'' (because of the left part) and if searching for ''Future Sound Of Egypt Recordings'' (because of the right part).

So thats it. My question is: Am I able to do this or at least the whole part except without .doc comparasion (in this situation I would use command prompt to make a dir and then compare two doc files)?

I hope I wasn't too annoying with my message. I also apologize for my English language since its not 100% correct. Hopefully someone could suggest me something how this could be done with FreeCommander or with some other software (if not possible with FC).

Again, Im sorry for such a message but writing all this was the only way to ask and get the answer about what Im really interested for.

Thank you and best wishes to everyone.

matera

#2 Post by matera » 21.11.2009, 04:41

You're trying to compare local folders with directories on a website?

AT85

#3 Post by AT85 » 21.11.2009, 09:43

Thank you for reply. No, Im not trying to do that. The foldernames are gathered from this web site (discogs) before comperasion, about which im asking, starts. All part of folder's and subfolder's names syntax (except ''(!!!!!)'' symbol in the folder name, never located in subfolders, which depends if I already have the same folder but without the same subfolder) are from there and its not related to this post.