Problem copying files

Discussion, questions and support.
FCUser

Problem copying files

#1 Post by FCUser » 19.01.2010, 19:35

When I try to drop (as in drag&drop) or paste (as in copy&paste) into FC second panel that has no empty space (the list of files there is already so long that it doesn't leave any empty space), nothing happens.

I have to go up 1 level in the directory structure and then I can right click on the directory name and select Paste and it works.

Anybody experienced anything like this?

matera

Re: Problem copying files

#2 Post by matera » 20.01.2010, 05:34

Can you paste with Ctrl+V?

I have never had any trouble with it, but I don't enable full row select because it does make pasting and dropping awkward.
Windows Vista 64-bit
Pentium E5200 Dual Core 2.5GHz

FCUser

#3 Post by FCUser » 21.01.2010, 04:04

No. Same problem with Ctrl+V.

How do I disable full row select?

matera

#4 Post by matera » 21.01.2010, 06:50

Oh boy, foot in mouth. I was mixed up and talking through my hat, ignore what I said.

I wish I could say something sensible. I don't know what could be causing the problem, unless it has something to do with your mouse. Sometimes they produce odd effects. I did try some different settings for Free Commander, but it didn't make any difference.
Windows Vista 64-bit

granny

#5 Post by granny » 21.01.2010, 07:21

After I have selected and COPIED my files/folders (right-click & Copy, or CTRL + C), if the target File-List pane is completely full, I click on the small folder icon at the top left of the pane (hit the Home key if you don't want to use the vertical scroll bar).
Then I can Right-click & Paste, or CTRL + V to paste the items into that folder.

When using Drag & Drop to Move, or CTRL drag&drop to Copy, I've never had to do anything special, just release the mouse button, and the files drop into the target folder.

I hope that made sense. Post back if I confused you.

granny

matera

#6 Post by matera » 21.01.2010, 18:00

Oh, yeah, the dot-dot folder (lol). That's a good suggestion (as usual). :)
Windows Vista 64-bit

FCUser

#7 Post by FCUser » 21.01.2010, 20:45

I have no problem pasting into the dot dot folder at the top of the pane, but that pastes the file(s) into the parent folder, not the current folder where I want to paste to.

I have the problem with drag & drop as well.

After further investigation, it seems to be happening over network drives, sometimes even crashing FC.

I am using Win98. (I know...) :-)

granny

#8 Post by granny » 22.01.2010, 08:20

have no problem pasting into the dot dot folder at the top of the pane, but that pastes the file(s) into the parent folder, not the current folder where I want to paste to.
Ok, ya got me. Where is this "current folder", do you mean it is a sub-folder inside the parent folder occupying the current pane? if so, you should be able to just drop your files onto the folder icon for a subfolder.

Can you post a screenshot?

But, as you say, Win98 could be causing problems.

FCUser

#9 Post by FCUser » 22.01.2010, 22:00

Granny,

If I have a folder c:\subfolder open in the left pane (so the left pane is a list of files in c:\subfolder), I can right click on the dot dot icon in the left pane and select Paste. But that will put it (the file that I'm pasting) into c:\ and not into c:\subfolder.

If I right click anywhere else in the left pane and select Paste, nothing happens and sometimes FC crashes.

I want to paste it into c:\subfolder (the folder that is currently open in the left pane).

granny

#10 Post by granny » 27.01.2010, 04:53

Well, now you got me to experiment, and I found some odd things. I don't have network-share to try, and using XP and Vista, so I don't know if Network and/or Win98 make a difference.

I assume you are not using Tree view pane (maybe you should try that, it can eliminate a lot of "pain", bad pun, :mrgreen: )

so say I have a folder structure like
C:\
+First Level Subfolder
__doc1.doc
__doc2.doc
__Second Level Subfolder
........doc3.doc
........doc4.doc

in the actual File List Pane, showing
[].. (that's supposed to be the double-dot folder represents First Level )
+ Second Level Subfolder
doc3.doc
doc4.doc

Now I want to put doc5 into the Second Level.

Just dragging to the desired folder icon until it highlights always works for me (but in Vista, the mouse snags on the first folder it hits, and I can't drag vertically, have to drag horizontally to make it let go so I can go to the sub-folder I really want.)

Now, if I double-click Second Level folder icon so that its contents display in the pane ---
You are right, drag & drop file to the double-dot folder will put doc5 into the First Level.

But, using CTRL+C or right-click context menu Copy, click on double-dot, CTRL+V or context menu Paste will put it into Second Level, which is where I want it.
(I speculate when using these particular copy/paste actions, FC is treating the double-dot as a blank spot in the folder)

As FYI, Drag & Drop to either of the Scroll Bars on the Second Level pane WILL put it into the Second Level folder also. So you could try that if the pane is full of file names and can't find an empty spot to drop on. Or, in Details View, drag to any column heading.

Thanks for asking the question, I learned something :D
I hope that one of these options might work for you.

FCUser

#11 Post by FCUser » 28.01.2010, 04:26

Yes, it works OK in tree view granny. Unfortunately, I don't like the tree view. :-)

But thanks for your help.