New to FreeCommander

Discussion, questions and support.
amflores

New to FreeCommander

#1 Post by amflores » 22.10.2011, 22:22

New to FreeCommander and to this forum. This is my first post here.
By using FreeCommander I hope to forget my frustration with PowerDesk, the best file manager on the market years ago on its first versions. Not anymore.
I still have my PowerDesk 8 PRO (Avanquest) but don't use it anymore. It offers a lot of good features but doesn't work as the first versions used to. Far from it.
Avanquest bought it and has run it into the ground by not supporting it.
It freezes most of the time and Avanquest's support is not efficient.
Hope I can have a long stay here.

Cheers,
Flores

stedanarh

Re: New to FreeCommander

#2 Post by stedanarh » 21.11.2011, 13:03

Welcome! :mrgreen:

Philip Goddard

#3 Post by Philip Goddard » 17.02.2012, 10:37

Ah yes, another ex-PowerDesk user - welcome!

I too was using PowerDesk 8, having been a long-standing PowerDesk user till I eventually tried FreeCommander. I myself have found the latter greatly more stable than PowerDesk, quite apart from its having a fuller and more customizable and intuitive functionality.

I have been using the so-called pre-alpha version (FreeCommander XE) for surely over a year now, and, for me, that has still been much more stable than PowerDesk was. Indeed, now that it has the multi-rename function implemented, I am unlikely to have cause to use the 2009 version again. A brilliant piece of software, clearly from a really good, thorough, methodical and 'user-aware' programmer.
--[url=http://www.philipgoddard.com/index.htm]Philip[/url]

Scott_Y

#4 Post by Scott_Y » 17.02.2012, 14:05

Philip Goddard wrote:... A brilliant piece of software, clearly from a really good, thorough, methodical and 'user-aware' programmer.
Very well said, Philip. FC is an outstanding model of finely crafted software, and superior responsiveness by its author. Although it is generously offered as freeware, it is well deserving of donations.

Philip Goddard

#5 Post by Philip Goddard » 17.02.2012, 15:06

Yes, I would underline that point about donations. Indeed, I had earmarked the point at which XE got the multi-rename function (which I have daily essential use for) as being the point that I would have no further use for the 2009 version. which I'd already donated for, and would make a donation for XE - which I did yesterday. Life feels so much better when one gives something positive in return for a generously given nominally 'free' thing that has brought one significant benefit.
--[url=http://www.philipgoddard.com/index.htm]Philip[/url]