Problem setting file list font colors

Discussion, questions and support.
pmennen

Problem setting file list font colors

#1 Post by pmennen » 10.01.2013, 18:49

For the file tree (left side), I can set its background and font color exactly as I prefer.

For the file list (right side), I can set the background color as desired and I can also set the font color used for file names.
However folder names also appear in this list and they still appear in the default (black) color.

How do I change that color?
(The help file doesn't seem to give any help about how to set color preferences.)

Without the ability to change that color, the whole exercise of setting up color preferences seems pointless because I can't use my preferred background colors because the contrast is too low and I can't see the folder names in the file list.

Thanks
~Paul

pmennen

Re: Problem setting file list font colors

#2 Post by pmennen » 10.01.2013, 19:35

Ok, never mind ... I just took another stab at it and figured it out.

wow - talk about unintuitive!
Why should the first 3 colors I mentioned be under "Color/Font" and the 4th color (that I complained about not being able to set) is under a different menu (called just "Color"). What is getting set where is certainly obscure. Also the fact that you have to back out of the settings menu completely to see what if anything you have changed makes learning by experiment pretty painful. Perhaps if the manual described the color selection menus it wouldn't be so bad. Also, what is the plain view for?

~Paul

Scott_Y

#3 Post by Scott_Y » 11.01.2013, 01:40

Yes, that's a non-intuitive and frustrating arrangement for setting colors. I presume you are using FC2009?

Without digging around too much, I think FCXE has taken care of the problem. Here is where the relevant color controls are in Settings > View:
- File/Folder List > Color/Font tab has controls for Background, Font Color, and Stripe.
- File/Folder List > Items Color tab sets colors for Directories (as well as other attributes and file types).
- Tree > Colors tab has controls for both the folder tree and favorites tree: Background, Selection, Font, and Font-Selection.

You might give it a try and report back here with your impressions.

ralfso

#4 Post by ralfso » 11.01.2013, 06:10

For FC 2009 you can find some good guides at http://www.freecommander.com/fc_guide_en.htm

No 3 is "Configuring Colors"
Regards
Ralf

Win10 (64-bit), Intel i7-2600 (3,4 GHz), 8 GB Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2x2000 GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 545