Multi-Rename Function Won't Work

Discussion, questions and support.
wingerx5

Multi-Rename Function Won't Work

#1 Post by wingerx5 » 14.09.2013, 21:11

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how the multi-rename function works. I have tried several times on several different files. I selected a group of files and then click on the multi-rename option in the file menu. The multi-rename box appears with those files listed but as soon as I start trying to enter a name in the file name box all the files but the first one turn red which means they will not be renamed.

I am using Free Commander 2009.02b. My operating system is Windows 7 64-bit.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Multi-Rename Function Won't Work

#2 Post by Dreamer » 14.09.2013, 22:41

http://www.freecommander.com/fc_guide_g ... ame_en.htm
Items that can't be renamed are shown in red.

The most common causes for rename to fail ---

the file is being used by another program

another file already exists with that name in that location

name contains "illegal" characters \ / : * ? " < > |
Thanks, granny!

Moved to correct forum - General Discussion.

wingerx5

#3 Post by wingerx5 » 15.09.2013, 20:21

I turned on Free Commander with nothing else running on the computer. I created a test folder with 5 files. I close the folder from which I got those files. Then I selected them in the test folder and selected multi-rename. The multi-rename box came up with these 5 files listed. As soon as I typed in character into the name box the 4 files below the first one turned red. I thought this bypassed the points you raised. I don't know anything further to do to resolve this.
winger

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 15.09.2013, 21:20

You're trying to rename those files using the same name, which is not possible, that's why the ones beside the first one become red.
You need to add a counter or something to differentiate the names.
Try (in the name field)

[n] - [c]

or

gdjfgjfdhjikfgy [c]

Is it still red?

wingerx5

#5 Post by wingerx5 » 16.09.2013, 04:28

They are still red. I don't think I'm trying to give them the same name. I was just trying to rename them Sam (1-5) as Windows would do. When I print S in the name box they immediately turn red. It does not wait for me this type a number or anything else as far as I can see. I would send a screenshot if I could figure out how to add an attachment.

Timon

#6 Post by Timon » 16.09.2013, 07:22

If you simply type S in the name box files MUST turn red, because all selected files would have the same name - S.*. You need to add counter [c].

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss » 16.09.2013, 19:04

It's red in the beginning (because the names are identical), but you must continue typing (until something is added to differentiate them, like the counter from my example)! Come on, it's not that hard to understand!

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 16.09.2013, 22:10

wingerx5 wrote:I would send a screenshot if I could figure out how to add an attachment.
How to report a bug (Read before posting!)

• Sometimes it's useful to make a screenshot of the problem. You can use the integrated FreeCommander feature (menu > Extras > Desktop Snapshot), or one of many free tools available on the Internet, or just the integrated Windows feature - press PrintScreen to make a screenshot, then open any image editor, e.g. Paint, press Ctrl+V to paste, save it and upload it to http://imageshack.us/ , or http://imagevenue.com/ for example. Do not place large screenshots in the forum, use the links, or thumbnails instead. Please use the English language for screenshots, you can use /Lng=English command line parameter.

If you don't want to read the guide, here are few tips for multi rename:

As other users said already, you have to add something next to the name in the pattern "file name" field, for common files use "counter" and at least 2 "digits" option, for more than 99 files use 3 digits.

For multimedia files, photos, mp3 files you can use the exit date or artist, song name options, here are few examples:

Common files:

Code: Select all

document [c]
Photographs:

Photo [exif_taken]
Music, mp3 files:

[mp3artist] - [mp3title]
[mp3artist] - [mp3tracks2] - [mp3title]

wingerx5

#9 Post by wingerx5 » 17.09.2013, 18:22

Sorry I have seemed so dense about this but with your help, I finally have figured it out. I got the impression that I was supposed to replace the [c] in the file name with a numerical counter. I would be glad to read the guide it had known there was one and where to find it. If it is in the Help file, I still haven't figured out how to install that.

Anyway, thank you all for the help. I appreciate it.

wingerx5

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss » 17.09.2013, 18:56

But Dreamer already posted this link (see his first post in this topic):

http://www.freecommander.com/fc_guide_g ... ame_en.htm