Retry file name change if file is open

Suggestions and feature requests.
dae1948

Retry file name change if file is open

#1 Post by dae1948 » 02.03.2020, 19:51

This happens to me over and over. PDF with horrible name is open. I use FC to change it, and after
fine-tuning the new name, FC says I can't because it is open somewhere. I close the file viewer that has the file open,
but FC won't let me retry (BTW, Windows stinky File Manager allows retry).

That's my biggest request for an otherwise fine program.

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Retry file name change if file is open

#2 Post by Marek » 02.03.2020, 21:41

What is your FC version?
I close the file viewer that has the file open
You mean internal FC viewer? If yes - I have no problem to rename the file opened in the internal FC viewer.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 02.03.2020, 22:38

No, I think he means, that if he open any file in another program, that file is in use and when he try to rename it in FC, error dialog is shown, then he close the other program and he has to close dialog, because there is just "OK" button.

In Explorer, same situation, error dialog has 2 buttons, "Try Again" and "Cancel", so it's possible to close the file in other program and just press the "Try Again" button to rename.

Anyway, you can test with a video file and open it in VLC, or open it in FC internal viewer - using VLC option, then try to rename it - error dialog with 1 button (OK) is shown. - In Explorer the dialog with 2 buttons is opened, so it's possible to close VLC and press "Try Again" to rename the file, it's easier as in FC.

Moreover, in FC the new name is lost, if not using dialog option for rename.

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 15.07.2020, 22:28

Dreamer wrote: 02.03.2020, 22:38 [...]
I think he means, that if he open any file in another program, that file is in use and when he try to rename it in FC, error dialog is shown, then he close the other program and he has to close dialog, because there is just "OK" button.
[...]
This is very annoying behavior indeed