A couple performance improvements

Suggestions and feature requests.
jtcornett

A couple performance improvements

#1 Post by jtcornett » 28.01.2021, 17:25

This is my favorite file manager of all the offerings available both commercial and free. Thank you for all the effort for many years and sharing this with the world.

1. Reading a network shared folder over slow VPN: I am working remote using VPN to connect to Windows shares at work (technically a Samba share). I'm not sure what FreeCommander queries when reading the contents of a folder, but it take much longer (4 to 5 times) to read/refresh the contents of a folder over the internet than Windows Explorer (or XYPlorer, or 7Zip). I've looked for settings to improve this, but yet to have found anything to decrease this wait time.

2. UI Performance: This minor issue has been discussed before here and I understand some of the older components or libraries may have something to do with this since Delphi has been around since the Windows 9x days. (I used Borland Delphi extensively back then). UI Refresh is slow. Scrolling through folders with many items shows tearing within the list. Resizing FreeCommander shows how much it struggles to keep up while painting of all the components compared with other Windows applications. If Embarcadero has any updates/suggestions it would improve the user experience in this well designed file manager.

I would enjoy contributing to this software, but I understand the hassles of open sourcing. This is yours and you should be proud. I'm happy to continue donating.

TZ_196604

Re: A couple performance improvements

#2 Post by TZ_196604 » 08.02.2021, 07:30

HI Support, i have the sampe problem with VPN Network.
Freecommander is very slow. approx 4-5 times slowner then Windows Explorer.
Please Fix!!!

best regards
Tom

diver25

#3 Post by diver25 » 12.04.2021, 21:16

Hi,
I don't know what happened - FC became REALLY slow recently.
I do use VPN, however disabling it doesn't seem to help:(((
I've tried all suggestions I could find - no improvement.
I wonder if it's the latest update that screws things up?

Karol

#4 Post by Karol » 13.04.2021, 13:43

- Antivirus?
- Test Portable-Zip

stephen147

#5 Post by stephen147 » 06.06.2021, 00:41

I have to say there's a vast difference in performance between File Explorer and FC when there are many folders especially in thumbnail view for me.

Perhaps a caching issue.
Sceenshots made easy with ShareX.

Odamn-Ete

#6 Post by Odamn-Ete » 06.06.2021, 07:31

jtcornett wrote: 28.01.2021, 17:25 This is my favorite file manager of all the offerings available both commercial and free. Thank you for all the effort for many years and sharing this with the world.

2. UI Performance: This minor issue has been discussed before here and I understand some of the older components or libraries may have something to do with this since Delphi has been around since the Windows 9x days. (I used Borland Delphi extensively back then). UI Refresh is slow. Scrolling through folders with many items shows tearing within the list. Resizing FreeCommander shows how much it struggles to keep up while painting of all the components compared with other Windows applications. If Embarcadero has any updates/suggestions it would improve the user experience in this well designed file manager.

I feel like this has gotten a little bit better in the 848 version but it is still an issue, which I hope can be solved.

Best regards,

Emmortal

#7 Post by Emmortal » 18.08.2021, 18:03

1. Reading a network shared folder over slow VPN: I am working remote using VPN to connect to Windows shares at work (technically a Samba share). I'm not sure what FreeCommander queries when reading the contents of a folder, but it take much longer (4 to 5 times) to read/refresh the contents of a folder over the internet than Windows Explorer (or XYPlorer, or 7Zip). I've looked for settings to improve this, but yet to have found anything to decrease this wait time.
I've been noticing the same--it's VERY slow dealing with network shares over the VPN connection, and I can't test without the VPN since I don't have access to the shares without it.

I screen capped opening the same folder in File Explorer and FreeCommanderXE and then checked the time codes to see the difference in how long it takes to open it and show the contents.
FreecommanderXE: 16 Seconds
File Explorer: 1.03 Seconds
Same, and it's something I've posted about in the past along with video of the problem. Oddly, it's MUCH worse on my home PC with dedicated graphics than it is on my work laptop with integrated graphics, but the issue exists across the board.

ags1905

#8 Post by ags1905 » 10.10.2021, 20:41

FreeCommander (any version) is also slow at showing file size and date in the footer bar. When moving the cursor to a new file, there is a noticeable and annoying delay. Other file managers show this instantly.

eric-bl38

#9 Post by eric-bl38 » 28.10.2021, 11:36

Hi,
Really appreciate your app but very slow (4-5 seconds for each ops : display app after minimize in tray bar, change directory, ...) since few days.
I use the latest version : FreeCommander XE 2020 Build 840 32-bit public
on win10 x64 v1903.
Have you an idea ?
Thanks.

Karol

#10 Post by Karol » 28.10.2021, 12:48

You write
since few days
What is changed in your system last days? E.g. AntiVirus update?

Dreamer
Site Admin

#11 Post by Dreamer » 28.10.2021, 20:27

Just an idea, what about free disk space, do you have enough free space on system disk - and even on other disks? Try to make more free space.