Safe mode (Kids mode)

Suggestions and feature requests.
Dreamer
Site Admin

Safe mode (Kids mode)

#1 Post by Dreamer » 14.01.2014, 00:00

Such mode would be very useful for all users with children or any users which wants to protect their files (of course it can't be perfect, the files might be deletes with other programs and explorer).

I'm not sure about the name, here are some options: safe mode, read mode, kids mode, children mode...

I'll try to explain how it should work. It should be password protected, there should be the menu option, toolbar button, keyboard shortcut to enable/disable "safe mode".

If enabled, these options/actions should be disabled*:

- delete to bin, delete permanently, wipe
- move
- copy on the same drive ??
- drag&drop
- closing locked tabs
- address bar editing
- command line
- rename, multi rename
- limited access, only selected folders, or block specific folders - with option
- limited access, also for drives
- settings
- menu
- empty recycle bin

It should be clearly visible, that "safe mode" is enabled, message in the title bar, perhaps also different main program icon color might be used.

Perhaps another option would be needed, password protected settings folder, but not necessary, since it's mainly for children...

* You are welcome to add comments.

What do you think, is it needed?

joby_toss

Re: Safe mode (Kids mode)

#2 Post by joby_toss » 14.01.2014, 14:01

I, for one, don't need this option.

But it got me thinking... could FC be offered in another, different, version? FC XE Light, or something? With limited functionality? Those options Dreamer was talking about, removed altogether?
I am not a programmer, so I have no idea if it's just a question of removing some parts of the code... But if it is...
I don't even think there is something like this on the freeware market, so it might be a good idea.

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 14.01.2014, 20:27

Many IT admins are interested in such mode - I have already get some questions.

Timon

#4 Post by Timon » 14.01.2014, 20:29

File manager itself is already quite sophisticated tool with a lot of opportunities. So, I think if someone need to make restrictions (eg, fear of children) password protection is the only thing that is needed. If password is wrong, program should not start at all. It is simple and effective. Implementing "security settings" for each option require a major revision.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 14.01.2014, 22:12

I don't know if it would be complicated, or even impossible to implement such a feature.

Some features might be blocked easily by a user, manually disable some shortcuts (Del, F2, F4, F6, F12, CTRL+X...), removing the toolbar buttons (cut, delete, move, edit, rename...), disable main menu, rught click context menu (or at least right button). All this is already possible, there is just no way to quickly switch between full and safe mode and no password...

...so it is possible to create the ini with such limited settings and only the option to switch between these two ini files (standard and "safe") is needed (and the password).

Even normal users (not children) could delete or move something by mistake, sometimes they could move a file using drag and drop and they don't know about it.

File recovery software is very popular ("About 49,000,000 results" -google), so why not prevent such situations.

Timon

#6 Post by Timon » 15.01.2014, 06:16

I think in that case, it would be much better to make implementation based on user rights, and it would be much easier for IT administrators. If user have Admin rights, everything works without restrictions. Under Power user some options are restricted, under User there are maximum restrictions.