Quick filter for favorite tools

Suggestions and feature requests.
Dreamer
Site Admin

Quick filter for favorite tools

#1 Post by Dreamer » 10.02.2014, 01:04

FC is good for starting favorite tools, directly, or from the context menu and sub-menu, but it's not easy and not fast to find the correct program.

So what about the feature, similar to Windows start menu quick filter - search feature to find any installed program, just press Win key, start typing (e.g. "Fre"), then the first item with the name is automatically focused, so it is possible to start the program with a single press of the Enter key.

I suggest to add the "Quick Favorite Filter" toolbar button with option to show also the text field (as for quick filter in status bar), then also the keyboard shortcut to activate "Quick Favorite Filter".

It should work like this:

- [QFF button/icon] [...........*] (*=text field)
- click the text field or press the QFF button or shortcut
- start typing the program name, e.g. "phot"
- the list with the results should appear in context menu, first item focused

There should be all items from Favorite tools list, perhaps also favorite folders, system items like desktop, control panel etc. in the database. Since the items are in the FC ini, it might be also very fast, faster than Windows filter.

Now just the steps needed to run the program:

- click > type few chars > press Enter

Marek
Author
Author

Re: Quick filter for favorite tools

#2 Post by Marek » 10.02.2014, 21:50

Have you checked "Quick starter"? You can use "Quick Starter" for fast start any program or open any document.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 10.02.2014, 23:29

Sorry, but quick starter is not quick enough. :wink: It needs to configure it (add 100+ items), new dialog must be opened and much more clicks are needed as necessary.

QFF should use the existing favorite tools database (+ some more items), no additional dialog, just the icon and text field, then just...

- click > type few chars > press Enter

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 11.02.2014, 00:08

I have a folder with my most used programs with about 200,000 files. It took FC about 4 minutes to flatten the view, then I filtered all the executables (4106, but I trim their number every now and then), selected them and added all to a quick starter repository (Edit/Add selected from main window). Another repository has all the executables from the Windows folder, another one has some of my documents (added the same way, by filtering a flattened view), etc.

I like this solution, but I can't find an easy way to switch between the repositorys using the keyboard.
Is there a shortcut for this job (now I have to use the mouse or hit TAB twice and then use the arrows)? If not, could this be added?

Marek
Author
Author

#5 Post by Marek » 11.02.2014, 21:31

Is there a shortcut for this job (now I have to use the mouse or hit TAB twice and then use the arrows)? If not, could this be added?
I could add in QS window e.g. Ctrl+1,...,Ctrl+0, for the first 10 repositories.
Additionally I could add few commands in main window. We have now actExtrQuickStarter - Open Quick Starter window. I could add actExtrQuickStarter1,
actExtrQuickStarter2, actExtrQuickStarter3, actExtrQuickStarter4, actExtrQuickStarter5 for opening the repository 1,2,3,4,5 directly.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss » 12.02.2014, 14:57

That would be great! Thanks!