Drive ID in FreeCommander XE

Suggestions and feature requests.
mdparlette

Drive ID in FreeCommander XE

#1 Post by mdparlette » 16.02.2014, 11:03

Hello,

I use multiple USB devices on my computer for different tasks. There are usually (4) usb hard drives attached at any one time for backup, etc. I think because I use so many different devices, all of which are identified as memory storage locations, the drive letters are always changing.

This causes problems with the favorites shortcuts, which seem to use the drive letter.

So I have an enhancement request for FreeCommander XE. I'll try to define the idea.

I use SyncBack Pro for my backup tasks and have run into the same problems. The creators of SyncBack (2BrightSparks, Ltd.) offer options to drive identification:
( e.g., a backup location on one of my USB drives can be identified in SyncBack Pro by any of these three 'tags'),

1) the normal drive letter: I:\WD_BACKUP\CADDEV\C\PROJ\
2) the drive serial #: %SERIAL=C070-804B%\WD_BACKUP\CADDEV\C\PROJ\)
3) the drive label name: %LABEL=My Passport500%\WD_BACKUP\CADDEV\C\PROJ\

I have found the #2 (serial identification) to be the most stable, since it really never changes.

What do you think about adding this extra functionality of drive identification to FreeCommander XE?

Would you like to see a screen shot of the Syncback Pro option box?

joby_toss

Re: Drive ID in FreeCommander XE

#2 Post by joby_toss » 16.02.2014, 11:49

You should check out some variables FC is able to use (the guide is for FC 2009, but this section still applies to FC XE), especially %FcSrcDrive%: http://freecommander.com/fc_guide_grann ... ons_en.htm