Keyboard shortcut to switch between panes AND tree

Suggestions and feature requests.
Bruce Fraser

Keyboard shortcut to switch between panes AND tree

#1 Post by Bruce Fraser » 03.05.2014, 19:30

Free Commander's default keyboard shortcut for <Tab> is to switch back and forth between the two panes.
I'd like to expand that to include the tree pane. I don't see an option for that anywhere in the list of keyboard shortcuts.
And since I often work with just one pane, it would be nice if it switched back and forth between only the visible panes (i.e. the tree and the one pane).

alf5000

Re: Keyboard shortcut to switch between panes AND tree

#2 Post by alf5000 » 03.05.2014, 20:09

Shift+Tab
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)

Bruce Fraser

#3 Post by Bruce Fraser » 03.05.2014, 20:40

Excellent! Thank-you.
I'm a new convert, coming over from PowerDesk, which I've loved for years.

Bruce Fraser

#4 Post by Bruce Fraser » 04.05.2014, 04:38

alf5000 wrote:Shift+Tab
But tell me, please, where is that found? I don't see it in the list of keyboard shortcuts.

alf5000

#5 Post by alf5000 » 04.05.2014, 20:46

I don't know where I found it - highly likely by accident

you're right should be documented

Bruce Fraser

#6 Post by Bruce Fraser » 12.06.2014, 22:41

Bruce Fraser wrote:Free Commander's default keyboard shortcut for <Tab> is to switch back and forth between the two panes.
I'd like to expand that to include the tree pane. I don't see an option for that anywhere in the list of keyboard shortcuts.
And since I often work with just one pane, it would be nice if it switched back and forth between only the visible panes (i.e. the tree and the one pane).
Back to my original request.
I understand <Shift-Tab>. I just find it cumbersome. To me, it's much easier and definitely much faster to just hit the Tab key to instantly switch between tree and pane (for single view), or among all the windows (for dual view).

As I mentioned earlier, this is not possible in the present list of keyboard shortcuts.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 13.06.2014, 02:51

+1

Workaround - you can use HotkeyP, small free tool, to simulate any shortcut, also replace Shift+Tab with Tab - only for FreeCommander. If you need help with HotkeyP, just let me know.

Bruce Fraser

#8 Post by Bruce Fraser » 13.06.2014, 17:23

I downloaded HotKeyP. And yes, I do need some help. :>)
* The CHM help file for HotKeyP doesn't work under Windows 8. All other CHM files open fine.
* I think I see how to convert a key press into a command to run a program. But I don't see how to convert one key-press into another key-press (i.e. converts <Shift-Tab> to <Tab> )
* I also don't see how to configure it so that it does this ONLY in Free Commander.

I'll try to follow any instructions you offer.
But the whole process should be unnecessary. This should be part of Free Commander's options!

alf5000

#9 Post by alf5000 » 13.06.2014, 19:11

Bruce Fraser wrote: Back to my original request.
I understand <Shift-Tab>. I just find it cumbersome. To me, it's much easier and definitely much faster to just hit the Tab key to instantly switch between tree and pane (for single view), or among all the windows (for dual view).

As I mentioned earlier, this is not possible in the present list of keyboard shortcuts.
no, no, no I don't like the 'among all the windows part' - perhaps as an option so that I can switch it off.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#10 Post by Dreamer » 14.06.2014, 01:22

Bruce Fraser wrote:I downloaded HotKeyP. And yes, I do need some help. :>)
* The CHM help file for HotKeyP doesn't work under Windows 8. All other CHM files open fine.
* I think I see how to convert a key press into a command to run a program. But I don't see how to convert one key-press into another key-press (i.e. converts <Shift-Tab> to <Tab> )
* I also don't see how to configure it so that it does this ONLY in Free Commander.

I'll try to follow any instructions you offer.
But the whole process should be unnecessary. This should be part of Free Commander's options!
Hm.. strange that CHM file can't be opened under Windows 8.

Use Tab as Hot key (field next to ctrl/shift/alt/win), just press a desired key.
As Command use Keys to active window (type or select from menu).
As Parameters use shortcut which will be simulated, type \shift.\tab FreeCommander.exe .

You can simulate any existing keyboard shortcut, even any menu item which has no shortcut and assign to any keyboard shortcut or mouse shortcut, or combination, e.g. I'm using mouse tilt wheel to switch tabs.

Here is the part of the help file...

Macro
Parameter is a text string which can contain sequences \esc, \tab, \backspace, \enter, \space, \left, \right, \up, \down, \ins, \del, \home, \end, \pageup, \pagedown, \f1, \f2, ..., \shift, \rshift, \ctrl, \rctrl, \alt, \ralt, \win, \rwin, \apps, \capslock, \scrolllock, \pause, \printscreen, \divide, \multiply, \add, \subtract, \decimal, \0, \1, ..., \num0, \num1, ..., \A, \B, ..., \back, \forward, \refresh, \search, \favorites, \browser, \mail, \power, \volume_down, \volume_up, \mute, \play_pause, \stop, \prev_track, \next_track, \media_select, \launch_app1, \launch_app2, \lbutton, \rbutton, \mbutton, \xbutton1, \xbutton2, \wheelup, \wheeldown, \wheelleft, \wheelright, \doubleclick, \sleep, \rep, \xAB.
There can be a dot after every special sequence. If you only want to press down or to release a key, use suffix down or up. It is useful for combinations of two or more keys or buttons. For example \lbuttondown\rbutton\lbuttonup means mouse buttons L+R. Keys shift, ctrl, alt, win remain pressed together with the next character. For example \shift.a\shift.b is the same as \shiftdown.a\shiftup\shiftdown.b\shiftup and this is the same as AB. The ctrl key can be written as \^ .
There is a number after \sleep command which means delay in tenth of a second.
There are two hexadecimal digits after \x sequence which mean a virtual key code.
If you have set the option never use the keyboard hook, then a macro will NOT be repeated while you hold down a hotkey for a while. If you still want a macro to be repeated, prepend sequence \rep to the macro parameter. It has a drawback - shifts will remain pressed if you release them too quickly.

Macro to active window
The first parameter is like Macro parameter. The second parameter denotes a window. If this window is not in foreground, this command is not executed. The second parameter can contain characters &, |, ! which mean logical operators and, or, not. There must not be a space before or after these operators. Operator & has higher priority than |. You can use parenthesis to make more complex expressions. The window name must be written in apostrophes if it contains special characters & | ! ( ). If there is a space character in the window name, the entire second parameter must be written in quotation marks. For example "window 1"|"window 2" is error, it should be "window 1|window 2".
If you choose the option "Use hook for all hotkeys", a keydown event will be simulated when you press a "Macro to active window" hotkey and a keyup event will be simulated when you release this hotkey. If you disable the keyboard hook, then both keydown and keyup events will be simulated when you press this hotkey and nothing will happen when you release this hotkey.

Send keys to window
Sends messages WM_KEYDOWN and then WM_KEYUP. The first parameter is a macro. The second parameter determines a window. This window is activated if the first parameter starts with \show. This command doesn't work for minimized windows. Some applications require three parameters: keys, EXE name, window class or title. If you specify only EXE name, it might not work for applications which have more than one window. If you specify only window class or window title and there are more applications that have that window, the keys are sent randomly to one application.

Keys to active window
This command is similar to "Send keys to window", but it is ignored when the window determined by the second parameter is not in foreground. It can be used to change keyboard or mouse accelerators of almost any application. The third optional parameter determines the window to which the keys are sent. This window needn't have keyboard focus, but must belong to the foreground application.

Bruce Fraser

#11 Post by Bruce Fraser » 17.06.2014, 01:57

Wow! It works! Thank-you very much.

Actually, it works a bit TOO well... When I'm using dual-pane layout, and want to switch between panes, HotKeyP intercepts my <Tab> presses, and makes them into <Shift-Tab>. So I have to use the mouse to move between panes.

What I am really after is just to use <Tab> to cycle through all panes, including the tree. As I said in my initial post, I'm a convert from PowerDesk, and that's how it works. For me, it's easy and very fast.

Anyway, since I work mostly in single-pane view, I will keep it. Thanks again!

Dreamer
Site Admin

#12 Post by Dreamer » 17.06.2014, 22:06

You can assign panel switch to another shortcut, also Shift+Tab should be possible, but...

...what you need is to toggle tree/left panel/right panel - right? I think it should be possible to use another command in HotkeyP:

Commands list

Parameters are similar to Multi command, but only the first parameter is executed when this hotkey is pressed. After that, the first number is moved to the end of parameters list. So you have to repeat pressing the hotkey to execute all items in the list.

If you need help, let me know..

Bruce Fraser

#13 Post by Bruce Fraser » 20.06.2014, 18:26

Dreamer,

Thanks for your wonderful help.
That last one sounds complicated! I think I'll just use what I've got. It's not perfect, but good enough.