Checkbox for select file

Suggestions and feature requests.
guo

Checkbox for select file

#1 Post by guo » 01.10.2014, 14:26

FCXE only recently became my file browser of choice and I really miss this feature.
It has already been requested for older versions (see here or here) so there is not much more to say.
I just wanted to bring it again to your attention and add my vote for it.

/guo
guo/

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Checkbox for select file

#2 Post by Dreamer » 01.10.2014, 20:22

It's just a workaround, but you can use these ini options, define directly in the [Form] section of the freecommander.ini file:

SelectLeftClickOnIcon=2

0 - open (default)
1- focus
2- select

Or/and:

SelectLeftClickOnEmptyCaption=2

SelectLeftClickOnIcon is for the file icon, SelectLeftClickOnEmptyCaption for extension or end of the folder name, both are very useful, first is close to what you want, if you select the item, the item color is changed, so you can see the items that are selected. Use number 2 for this option.

Another option, focus (number 1) is useful when using single click to open file/folder, you can just focus the item, with single click - by clicking on item icon or extension.

You can combine these options as you wish, e.g. select clicking the icon, focus clicking the extension, or vice versa, or just one of these options...

ravellar

#3 Post by ravellar » 09.03.2015, 15:11

I don't get it. this is far from Select Checkbox

ravellar

#4 Post by ravellar » 09.03.2015, 15:18

Just wondering, is there some big barrier to this option, or is this not a popular item, or not wanted by your team?

Once again, Please! Please! Please! implement selection check box in the file/folder list

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 09.03.2015, 20:46

First, there is no team, just one developer, Marek, and he is working on FC in his free time only, so it's not easy to implement every feature.

I am sure there is no "not wanted feature", most features from old version 2009 have been added in the XE version already and many other, new features, but some are still not implemented, FTP for example, it's planned for this year.

Regarding the workaround above, I don't think it's so far from the checkbox - you can use a file icon as checkbox and the selected file color will be changed, so it works almost the same, it just looks different.

sl23

#6 Post by sl23 » 17.03.2015, 16:27

Its not as good as Check boxes but definitely a great alternative. Hopefully someday check boxes will be added? Thanks for the tip Dreamer

sl23

#7 Post by sl23 » 20.03.2015, 21:42

Hmmm, just got round to trying this and it doesn't work. Does it make a difference where you add the code?

I've added this to the beginning of [Form]:
SelectLeftClickOnIcon=2

Dreamer
Site Admin

#8 Post by Dreamer » 20.03.2015, 22:24

Try to add it to the end of [Form], as the last item, it works here, but only selecting items one by one. Click and drag to select more items doesn't work, this works only with another option:

SelectLeftClickOnEmptyCaption=2

With this option you can click on the end of folder name or/and file extension to select/deselect a single item and also drag up/down to quickly select several items, you can even select several group of files and deselect any item without removing of previous selection (as in explorer).

Of course, you can use both options.

sl23

#9 Post by sl23 » 26.03.2015, 22:45

Added it to the end of the [Form] but made no difference. Both of these options tested negative in operation?!

Dreamer
Site Admin

#10 Post by Dreamer » 26.03.2015, 23:17

Strange, are you sure you closed FC before editing the ini file? Are you sure it's the correct ini file? You can find the path to the ini file in the About dialog.

sl23

#11 Post by sl23 » 27.03.2015, 07:29

Yes, correct file and yes FCXE closed when editing. Using build 685 x32 but the PortableApps.com version, shouldn't make a difference though.

???

Dreamer
Site Admin

#12 Post by Dreamer » 27.03.2015, 19:34

Tested with 689 donor x64 and also with 680 public, 32 bit version, it works good.

Perhaps you could try to send your ini to Marek (FC author) with the link to this topic, so he could check it.

http://freecommander.com/en/contact/

Bruce Fraser

#13 Post by Bruce Fraser » 15.04.2015, 03:43

ravellar wrote:I don't get it. this is far from Select Checkbox
I have to agree with ravellar.
With checkboxes, one randomly clicks any boxes, and they all retain their status. No need to hold down <Ctrl> or <Shift> keys.
Dreamer's workaround is nothing like that... unless I haven't modified the .INI file correctly.

Here's what I inserted at the end of the [Form] section:
========
SelectLeftClickOnIcon=2
========

Dreamer: Did you mean one should also insert:
========
0 - open (default)
1- focus
2- select
========
(Your instructions are a bit ambiguous on that point.)

In any case, I just tried that second format, and it didn't change anything.

Bruce Fraser

#14 Post by Bruce Fraser » 15.04.2015, 13:57

Aha! One solution to achieving the same result as checkboxes is: Tools - Settings - Select items, and go to the tab titled "NC-Mode (sticky selection)". Put a checkmark by "Select items in NC-Mode" and that's it. How simple is that! No need to add secret codes to the configuration file.

This still doesn't allow the user to mouse click to sticky select. To achieve that, put a checkmark by "Select with right mouse button."

(See my next post on thoughts about calling this "NC-Mode".)

Bruce Fraser

#15 Post by Bruce Fraser » 15.04.2015, 14:24

In order to select multiple files in FreeCommander, and have them stay selected -- without using <Ctrl> or <Shift> keys -- one uses the "NC-Mode (sticky selection)."

Nowhere in the Help file does it explain what "NC" means. This stumped me for a while, until I was looking at other Explorer alternatives. I observed there is a status and pride among programmers to say "we're like Total Commander" or "like XTree" or -- here's the key to unlock the mystery -- "like Norton Commander".
I have had personal computers since 1987, so I'm certainly no newbie. But I never used Norton Commander (I used PC Tools and later PowerDesk), and have no idea what it means to say "we're like Norton Commander." And to use "NC" -- the acronym of a product which ceased to exist more than 15 years ago -- without any explanation, that's the height of geekdom.
So if this leaves me confused, I can only wonder how many younger users simply give up and move on to something else.

I don't want to be entirely negative, but have something positive to contribute. So here's my suggestion how to word that.
===============
Some users prefer to select multiple files using the checkboxes method used in File Explorer in Windows 7 and onward. While FreeCommander doesn't have checkboxes, you can achieve the same result by using "Sticky Selection." Just put a checkmark beside "Select items using Sticky Selection."
You can further adjust this with the other options below that...
===============