Favorites : additionnal visual codes (colors, lines)

Suggestions and feature requests.
kino

Favorites : additionnal visual codes (colors, lines)

#1 Post by kino » 17.02.2015, 15:40

Hi,

I'm using quite intensively Favorites hierarchy to organize access to a pretty large amount of paths in a multi-env. IS.

Offering additionnal visual codes - background & font colors as well as horizontal line-separators - would bring great value to the existing ordering/foldering capabilities.

Thanks

kino

Re: Favorites : additionnal visual codes (colors, lines)

#2 Post by kino » 13.04.2017, 07:21

Hello Guys,
I allow myself this bump after two years because I now have pretty large favorite folders and I kind of miss some of those extra differentiation visual codes to quickly identify lines without further directory hierarchyzation.
I don't know exactly whether Marek has set up a triage/prioritization process but if that feature arises your interest, what about a +1 ?
Thx
K

Dreamer
Site Admin

#3 Post by Dreamer » 13.04.2017, 21:20

kino wrote:horizontal line-separators
This is already implemented.
Attachments
zzzzScreenshot_04132017_211749.png

kino

#4 Post by kino » 13.04.2017, 22:19

Hi Dreamer,
Thanks for your reply.
I have been imprecise though : I'm talking about favorite folders (as stored in FreeCommander.fav.xml), not favorite toolbars.
I can have up to hundreds of bookmarked directories and files there and I happily sorted all those into folders.
Nonetheless, I try to maintain a not too deep tree (for the sake of fast access) and thus keep as many visible as possible at the same time up to the limit of my screen height.
In this context, separators, colors, icons, etc. would come in super-handy in order to visually differentiate those bookmarks (and I dare thinking that would not be such a challenge compared to many FC complex features)
Thanks

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 13.04.2017, 22:35

Do you mean Favorites tree?

BTW You can use favorite folders also in favorite tools.

kino

#6 Post by kino » 14.04.2017, 07:10

> Do you mean Favorites tree?

Yes : both the side tree (Alt+F) and the menu drop-down (and even also the panel drop down from favorites icon)

> BTW You can use favorite folders also in favorite tools.

Indeed but for punctual use : when it comes to hundreds, you can't decently map every single new favorite file/dir to a favorite tool.

Favorites is just the right place and the right useful feature, but with some additive visual codes, it would turn into perfect :)

Karol

#7 Post by Karol » 19.04.2017, 13:39

I can have up to hundreds of bookmarked directories and files there and I happily sorted all those into folders.
Have you tried "Favorites-Sets"?

kino

#8 Post by kino » 19.04.2017, 14:29

Hi Karol,

I have, yes, but it appears to me as another hierarchy level already offered through Folders (just an additional invisible top level where one can swap between projects/contexts for instance).

I don't deny the value of folders (my folder hierarchy would speak for me !) but at some point, one seeks to flatten a too deeply nested tree and there is where visual codes/markers come in handy (I typically use colors within my password safe in order to differentiate devel environments : DEV, INT, UAT, PPR, PRD, etc. without nesting into eponymous folders and hence I do access them FASTER)

Thanks (for you attention)

kino

#9 Post by kino » 29.04.2017, 09:45

Hello,

It's been implemented in build 745, nice ! (THANKS)

Note that :

- adding background color option would be even more useful than font color
(stripes of colors are visually more impacting)

- (bug:) font color is visible at edit time and in the side tree but not in drop-down lists from the main menu Favorites and from panel toolbars (favorites heart-shaped icone).

Many thanks

kino

#10 Post by kino » 27.06.2017, 09:07

Hi,

I hate being pushy on a feature request but I feel like 99% of the job has been done when you implemented font color on favorite list.

Could you please add the little supplementary button to also configure background color ?

I wanted to upload an image to show you the visual effect it yields and the obvious shortcut it creates in mind when looking up in a long list but I don't seem to be able to upload any picture (.png, .jpg, .tif, .bmp, .gif all seem forbidden by now, what's the way to do it ? I haven't found any info in FAQ about it (?)).

Thanks

kino

#11 Post by kino » 21.09.2017, 15:23

background color, it's been implemented ! (when ? I could see font color change in log as of 745 but I haven't spotted that much desired one)

THANKS !

Just a very last point : those colors currently only apply in the lateral tree view and not in drop down lists from the menu Favorites or panel shortcut button Favorites (little heart upon a folder icon).

If no technical challenge, could you apply it there too ?

...as a proof of concept, this is what it yields in my password safe (much much faster to pick a line there whilst seeking within a specific environment)

thanks again
Attachments
background_color_codes.png
background_color_codes.png (370.91 KiB) Viewed 44592 times

kino

#12 Post by kino » 14.02.2018, 10:32

I dare a little bump here (since I feel the topic may be perceived as final, most of the hard work being already done) :

- would it be possible to make those background colors ALSO visible in drop down lists from the menu Favorites or panel shortcut button Favorites ? (as of today, they are only in the Tree view and of course the Edit view)

Many thanks

kino

#13 Post by kino » 26.03.2019, 13:57

Hi there,

'hope nobody gets upset with my yearly bump (or is there any technical obstacle for this to work in the Favorite Menus as well as it works in the Favorite Tree ?)

Thanks

K.

kino

#14 Post by kino » 22.12.2020, 15:21

Hello,

By no mean do I want to harass you guys but I'd like to at least know if there's a technical obstacle with putting colors in a Windows menu drop-down list ? (perhaps is it just impossible ?)

To me, most of the work had been done since build 745 but it only applies to the Favorite Tree on the left, not on the drop-down menu list :

Tree vs Favorites visual codes and colors.png
Tree vs Favorites visual codes and colors.png (31.4 KiB) Viewed 14757 times
Please tell me.

Thanks for this wonderful tool (anyway)

kino

#15 Post by kino » 13.12.2022, 18:14

Hello FC Team,

You will forgive my bump (7 years after my first feature request, 'haven't insisted in 2 years :P ) :

For my peace of mind -> could you please tell me if there is the slightest obstacle to propagate/cherry-pick what has been done on the Favorite Tree (left) to the Favorite Menu (drop-down from top) ?

Favorites is my #1 tool besides panels I guess and it's hard for me to organize it better without extra visual codes.

Would separation lines be also possible between groups of Categories ? (icons ? etc.)

Thanks
(FC is by far the alpha & omega of all I undertake on a PC)