Show close button on inactive tabs

Suggestions and feature requests.

Would you like to have an optional close button also on inactive tabs?

Poll ended at 21.04.2016, 13:23

Yes, definitely!
17%
Nice to have the option.
83%
No, not needed.
No votes
I don't know.
No votes

Total votes: 6

Underdog

Show close button on inactive tabs

#1 Post by Underdog » 24.10.2015, 13:23

... and make this button a hotspot on mouseover so that inactive tabs can also be easily closed without having to activate them first or use the middle mouse button.

Settings|View|Folder Tabs > Tab Management|Show close button on inactive tabs
Last edited by Underdog on 24.10.2015, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7, 64-bit (I know!)

joby_toss

Re: Show close button on inactive tabs

#2 Post by joby_toss » 24.10.2015, 17:06

I voted No, not needed. I would have voted No, 'cause I really hate closing tabs by accident, but there was no such option in this poll.

To be fair, I understand that we have different needs, but if this option is added, I really hope it would be just that, an option, so I can disable it asap.

Underdog

#3 Post by Underdog » 24.10.2015, 19:03

joby_toss wrote:I voted No, not needed. I would have voted No, 'cause I really hate closing tabs by accident, but there was no such option in this poll.To be fair, I understand that we have different needs, but if this option is added, I really hope it would be just that, an option, so I can disable it asap.
Sheesh, jt, I thought that it was self-evident (especially with my reference to the Settings ... menu section) that this would be like the many other features of FC an option and certainly not one set by default! So I have made the questionnaire - hopefully now - unmistakably explicit. :roll:

Just in case, I'll throw in a visual example:

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 24.10.2015, 22:28

I understand both opinions, I don' like it because of closing a tab by mistake, just clicking the [x] button or by changing tabs by double click by mistake too.

Therefore I don't use a double click, but middle click to close a tab, I can't middle click by mistake, so perhaps i could be a good workaround, but I am not against this request, by option and disabled by default.

Underdog

#5 Post by Underdog » 24.10.2015, 22:46

Dreamer wrote:I can't middle click by mistake.
Thanks for you input. I can easily unintentionally middle-click when using the touchpad buttons on my notebook/laptop. (Am I the only one out there using those things?) That is one reason for this feature request.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss » 25.10.2015, 08:27

Ok, changed my vote to Nice to have the option. Still really hate the tab close button, though! :D

P.S. just having that close tab buttons on background tabs is enough? Or you need also to disable Middle click on tabs?

Timon

#7 Post by Timon » 25.10.2015, 16:54

If to speak about tabs I should say, that Close button should be absent if there is only one tab on a panel. For example, now, in FC XE 700 we have the only one tab on a panel and it has Close button, but it makes nothing! You can press it as many times as you want, but nothing occur. Of course, in the next release, in case when Close on the only one tab in one of panels is pressed, option Dual->one panel (F10) could be done (if Marek would like to implement it), but not all users would like such a behaviour (MultiCommander behaves exactly as was described, panel is closed when the only one tab in panel closed, but the other panel does nor resize and we have blank space plus opposite panel).

I agree, that in all browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Maxthon, Opera) Close button is always shown on all tabs, but when you close the only one tab (that have some URL opened), then that tab is closed and Express panel is opened. But Express panel has no Close button (I speak about build-in Express panel in Opera, not about some third party addons or extensions).

If to speak about how it could be done - there are 2 good implementations - Opera and XYplorer. See screenshot http://snag.gy/4BzoQ.jpg

Both apps have no Close button if there is only one tab (in case of Opera it is Express panel). Both apps have '+' button (marked with magenta square) to add a new tab (you don't need to remember what setting is used to add a new tab, or to use content menu on active tab to add new folder tab). Both apps have 'arrow down' button for quick tab change (from dropdown list you can change desired tab), but FC XE has such a button too.

I think it is Nice to have the option because it will expand FC XE capabilities and will add attraction compared to other file managers (currently, Double Commander and Total Commander have no Close buttons on tabs at all, they could be closed with doubleclick on a tab or with a hotkey, but may be I don't where that option could be set...)