Multiple select option

Suggestions and feature requests.
Belanos

Multiple select option

#1 Post by Belanos » 26.04.2016, 04:10

Thanks very much for making this utility, I'm liking what I see so far. I had been using Enriva's Magellan Explorer for many, many years but looking at the website recently I realized that it hasn't been updated since 2009. After looking around at some of the various file manager utilities available, I settled on this one, even going for the 64 bit version. For the most part I have been able to reproduce most of the options I had access to in Magellan Explorer, and have set up Free Commander to look very much like it. There is one function though that it's going to be awkward doing without. I used to be able to select multiple files simply by mousing down the list of files/folders in a pane, rather than using Shift/Ctrl select like the Windows default. I'd really like to see that ability I've gotten so used to in Magellan Explorer added to this program as well.

joby_toss

Re: Multiple select option

#2 Post by joby_toss » 26.04.2016, 06:36

To be able to use Drag&select while in Details view like in the .gif below, I'm using SelectLeftClickOnEmptyCaption=2 command in FreeCommander.ini:

More details on how to do this, here: viewtopic.php?p=19828#p19828

Or you can deactivate the option Full row select, but then you'll have to start the selection outside the Name column:

Or you can take a look at NC-Mode selection, for more flexibility while using the mouse:
http://www.freecommander.com/fchelpxe/e ... CMode.html

Belanos

#3 Post by Belanos » 26.04.2016, 06:49

So it is possible then. Good, after so many years of having that ability it would be hard to get used to the Windows method. I'm liking this program more and more all the time. But where do I find that FreeCommander.ini file? I looked in the program folder but I couldn't find it.

Oops, never mind. I used the search function and found it. But I'm seeing three copies, which all seem to be identical, and that command doesn't exist in any of them. Do I need to add that line, and which one do I add it to?
Last edited by Belanos on 26.04.2016, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 26.04.2016, 06:53

The location of the settings .ini file can be seen in the Help->About menu:

Make sure you edit the file while FC is closed!

Belanos

#5 Post by Belanos » 26.04.2016, 07:06

Ok, I figured it out. Thanks for the help. It should be a pretty smooth transition now after using Magellan Explorer for so long. I see this program has a lot more possibilities for configuring than that one did. It's also nice that it has 64bit support, Explorer was only a 32 bit program. It also always work right either. For instance, I could never call up 7zip in the context menu. I had to switch to using a Windows folder in order to work with .7z files.

Belanos

#6 Post by Belanos » 26.04.2016, 07:14

One thing I just noticed. Every time I do anything in the program now, like make changes to the settings for instance, the SizeOnDisk entry keeps refreshing itself. That slows things down quite a bit. How to I get that to stop? I've added a "Size of Selected Folders" button on my so I don't need to have the program doing it each and every time. Files I can see, but it's also doing it with folders, and some of them can be quite large.

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss » 26.04.2016, 07:25

1. Regarding 7-zip issue in Magellan: I guess that's because you installed 7-zip 64 bit and you have to register the 32 bit shell extension also, to get access to the 7-zip context menu in 32 bit apps (you can do it manually using the regsvr32 7-zip32.dll command, or in options):

2. Make sure you deactivate auto calculating folder size by using Alt+F9 hotkey.

I also have Auto refresh enabled for general changes only:

Belanos

#8 Post by Belanos » 26.04.2016, 07:53

joby_toss wrote:1. Regarding 7-zip issue in Magellan: I guess that's because you installed 7-zip 64 bit and you have to register the 32 bit shell extension also, to get access to the 7-zip context menu in 32 bit apps (you can do it manually using the regsvr32 7-zip32.dll command, or in options):
Doh! Of course, it never occurred to me that a 32 bit file manager was unable to access a 64 bit program. Oh well, I'm starting to like Free Commander better now anyway. It can be made much more user friendly compared to Magellan Explorer. The configuration options are pretty cool.

As for the auto-refresh, isn't there a menu setting somewhere to take care of that? I'm probably not going to remember that keyboard combo if it somehow starts happening again.

joby_toss

#9 Post by joby_toss » 26.04.2016, 08:19

I just add the correspondent button to the toolbar and watch its state:

And if you hover the mouse pointer over it, it will show you a tooltip including the hotkey:

Belanos

#10 Post by Belanos » 26.04.2016, 08:43

OK, that should be easy enough. It's nice that I'm able to back up all my settings, very convenient if I ever have to reinstall the program. I'm also running a dual boot system, Windows 7 and 10, so the program will be a breeze to set up on the other OS once I have things configured on my Windows 10 side. Thanks again.