Start new search when Enter is pressed, with old in progress

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Start new search when Enter is pressed, with old in progress

#1 Post by Forez » 26.10.2016, 20:13

Right now, if a search is is progress, you have to first stop it and then press again the "Find" button or Enter on a keyboard in order to get a new one

So if user makes some kind of mistake or is not specific enough, presses Enter or clicks Find, sees the error, corrects the searched value - user has to also click "Cancel", so that a new search may begin

So why can't the user just rewrite [correct] search inquiry and simply press Enter again?

Timon

Re: Start new search when Enter is pressed, with old in prog

#2 Post by Timon » 26.10.2016, 20:19

So if user makes some kind of mistake or is not specific enough, presses Enter or clicks Find, sees the error, corrects the searched value - user has to also click "Cancel", so that a new search may begin
Just press Esc button instead of clicking "Cancel"

Forez

#3 Post by Forez » 26.10.2016, 20:22

Timon wrote:
Just press Esc button instead of clicking "Cancel"
Same drag: unnecessary action

Pressing once again Enter should evoke that Esc step automatically

Forez

#4 Post by Forez » 26.10.2016, 20:35

And what's more, I think this could be considered a bug

Because if the search is in progress, the "X" icon in the right top corner does not work: you can't close Search windows without first stopping the search

Timon

#5 Post by Timon » 27.10.2016, 08:42

Enter is used not only to start search. After search is done, with Enter you run file under cursor in search results. So all logic should be rewritten.
It's definitely not a bug.
Because if the search is in progress, the "X" icon in the right top corner does not work: you can't close Search windows without first stopping the search
If you look closely, when search is running, button Find is not available.

Forez

#6 Post by Forez » 27.10.2016, 13:17

Timon wrote:
Enter is used not only to start search. After search is done, with Enter you run file under cursor in search results. So all logic should be rewritten.
That logic is only useful [saving time and pointer movement or navigating with keyboard's Tab] if what you were looking for with Search came to be on the list as a single file at the top of the results
Timon wrote:
It's definitely not a bug.
Yes it is

When Search is in progress you cannot even close it by right clicking its icon on the Windows Taskbar and then choosing "Close windows"

Timon wrote:
If you look closely, when search is running, button Find is not available.
Of course it is not, because that is how search process in progress is indicated [aside from the rapidly changing path ad the bottom]. And with logic behind that I can agree

But not being able to quickly correct search inquiry? Over 90% of my searches are done by being in some folder with subfolders, pressing CTRL + F, writing down quickly what I need and hitting Enter. And not seldom do I realize I will have to be more precise or to completely change what I put down in the >>File name:<< box

And what does anything that happens inside any software have to do with the "X" icon? The only reaction there could / should be, is a pop up question about saving a file that you are working on a question about disconnecting from a service etc. - Search does not even warn about search process in progress [and thus not allowing for a close up], but simply ignores the clicks of user on the "X"

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 27.10.2016, 20:00

The problem is, that it's possible to edit the text while searching, but the new search is not possible, so if it's not possible to improve it, the text field should be unavailable while searching.

Possible improvement - when searching starts, change focus to Cancel button (if possible).

My suggestion, to quickly start another search within the current search window - move focus to File name field if Ctrl+F shortcut is used, alternatively also stop active searching.

Regarding the [X] button, it might be considered as a bug IMHO, as workaround, clicking the Cancel button stop searching, then it's possible to close the window.

Forez

#8 Post by Forez » 28.10.2016, 12:49

Dreamer wrote: [...]
Regarding the [X] button, it might be considered as a bug IMHO
[...]
Most surely it is, because even Windows Task Manager has problem with closing Search when a task is in progress; it spits out info about how it is not responding

So I will post this in Bug section of the forum