[ Copy ] & [ Cut ] File Shortcuts [ DESTINATION ] Contents

Suggestions and feature requests.
profrd

[ Copy ] & [ Cut ] File Shortcuts [ DESTINATION ] Contents

#1 Post by profrd » 17.06.2017, 22:58

Being FreeCommander one of the Most Complete File Operations program, and Not finding the proposed suggestion on any other product in the Market, I would like to propose a feature which in my Point of View should have been Available since at least a Decade Ago in ANY WINDOWS version since [ File Shortcuts ] have been made available on NTFS file systems.

The [ Shortcut ] designation per si is a dubious Microsoft "concept" since the name Shortcut is applied indistinguishably to "Keyboard" Shortcuts and also to [ File Shortcuts ], being the second one the object of this Suggestion.

Its very easy to instead of copying the hole content of files in a Directory ( to another one ), to simply create a new destination folder and place [ File Shortcuts ] to each file instead of the actual file Contents from the Original directory.

The REVERSE Operation is however a VERY HARD one, since if someday one wishes to create a new copy of the file CONTENTS of each file every Shortcut points to ( or to Move the original content pointed by each Shortcut to a new place ), there is simply No Global right click option available action ...

To implement such, one has to proceed FILE by FILE right clicking [ Open File Destination ], then on the Selected file apply Edit Copy ( or Edit Cut or Drag & Drop ) to the desired destination, in a Manual FILE per FILE basis.

What I am suggesting is the Addtion of two new [ Edit ] subpanel options

[ Cut Shortcut DESTINATION ]
[ Copy Shortcut DESTINATION ]

which should be able to proceed to Mass File Operations on All the Pointed Shortcut Destination CONTENTS instead of Mass Copying or Moving just the Selected Shortcuts per si ( which is the single available action on simply ALL File Operations Programs on the Market since the advent of File Shortcuts ... )

The two crucial Missing Operations ( on ALL Programs in the Market ) are Indeed Cutting or Copying the DESTINATION Content of the files Pointed to by each Shortcut ( and not just the Shortcuts per si ).

So the [ Edit ] panel instead of just showing up

[ Cut ]
[ Copy ]
[ Paste ]
[ Paste Shortcut ]

could be "Enhanced" ( someday ) by offering

[ Cut ]
[ Cut Shortcut Destination ]
[ Copy ]
[ Copy Shortcut Destination ]
[ Paste ]
[ Paste Shortcut ]

Also the actually proposed Copy & Cut [ Shortcut DESTINATION ] Operations could ALSO be Offered as Dialog [ OPTIONS ] in the [ File ] menu panel inside [ Copy with Dialog ] and [ Move with Dialog ]

Yours Sincerely,

with my Best Regards to All and my Most Sincere Greetings to all Brave Developers and Dedicated Contributors to FreeCommander ( which in my opinion simply Excels in Almost ALL areas of File Operations ),

Prof. Ricardo Duarte

profrd

Re: [ Copy ] & [ Cut ] File Shortcuts [ DESTINATION ] Conten

#2 Post by profrd » 18.06.2017, 07:48

I think the Following "Feature Suggestion" Posts could be Also of interest to readers of this one.

" [ Paste ] Shortcuts [STRUCTURE] & [ Paste ] Shortcuts [FLAT] "
[ http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopi ... =20&t=7985 ]

" Move without directories "
[ http://forum.freecommander.com/viewtopi ... =20&t=7916 ]

Yours Sincerely,

Prof. Ricardo Duarte