Show number of all files in columns - based on the content of all of the subfolders

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Show number of all files in columns - based on the content of all of the subfolders

#1 Post by Forez » 24.03.2018, 13:45

I would like to be able to see in Columns a number of all of the files. But the counting should be performed all the way to the very last sub-folder

For example:
Level 1: Folder "A" has 1 file and a sub-folder "B"
Level 2: Sub-folder B has 1 file and a sub-folder "C" plus a sub-folder "D"
Level 3: Sub-folder "C" has 10 files while sub-folder "D" is empty

And so, when looking in detailed view mode at folder "A", I should be seeing the total number of files which is 12. [And when going into it "B", I would see that "C" has 10 files and "D" has 0]

Forez

Re: Show number of all files in columns - based on the content of all of the subfolders

#2 Post by Forez » 07.04.2018, 16:18

And I would also like to point out that this function is kind of already there- at least the behind the curtain mechanism

Because FreeCommander has that three different kind of Plain View options. So all is now missing is an option to show just the numbers representing the content that currently can be shown with all these Plain View options

Forez

Re: Show number of all files in columns - based on the content of all of the subfolders

#3 Post by Forez » 06.07.2023, 20:06

I would like to kindly bring to attention this old idea of adding a possibility for displaying in a Column the total number of files from all of nested sub-folders

horst.epp

#4 Post by horst.epp » 06.07.2023, 20:16

The basic info is not there.
Plain view is created at demand and searches down the tree at your request.
Displaying such info in a column would need a scanning on every folder change.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
Everything Version 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.67
FreeCommander XE 2024 Build 905 64-bit donor

Marek
Author
Author

#5 Post by Marek » 06.07.2023, 21:02

And so, when looking in detailed view mode at folder "A", I should be seeing the total number of files which is 12. [And when going into it "B", I would see that "C" has 10 files and "D" has 0]
That was implemented a long time ago:
- in the Detail View add the FreeCommander column Files
- in the definition of the Detail View activate the option "All subfolder levels for columns: Files, Folders, Items"

Forez

#6 Post by Forez » 09.07.2023, 13:33

horst.epp wrote: 06.07.2023, 20:16 The basic info is not there.
Plain view is created at demand and searches down the tree at your request.
Displaying such info in a column would need a scanning on every folder change.
I see no problem with that- as long as that

Code: Select all

???
indication is retained for marking those folders which are still being processed

What I do have a problem with is the concept of being able to apply this option only a profile-by-profile basis, thus each time having to go to

Tools > Settings > View > Column profiles/automatic views > Column profiles [TAB] > [SELECT A PROFILE] > Define columns [ICON] > All subfolder levels for columns: Files, Folders, Items

in order to turn it ON and OFF. It took me a while to find it and I must had stumbled upon it in the past, when I was creating [at least my main used daily thus sometimes updated] Profile- and yet it did not clicked in my head that this was the option I was longing for

Hence, as my empirical example shows, this should be:
● more easily accessible
● named in a more informative way
● applicable to all

Thus I propose adding a check-box option like

Tools > Settings > View > Count files and folders from all subfolders when using view with Columns

or at least

Tools > Settings > View > Column profiles/automatic views > Show number of all items from all subfolders when using Columns

If such change is implemented then the existing option should be removed - or could be changed to

Tools > Settings > View > Column profiles/automatic views > Column profiles [TAB] > [SELECT A PROFILE] > Define columns [ICON] > Override the "Count files and folders from all subfolders" option (if selected)

Alternatively this existing option could be removed- and instead of that its function be accessible by selecting

Tools > Settings > View > Column profiles/automatic views > Column profiles [TAB] > [SELECT A PROFILE] > Define columns [ICON] > Add new column [PLUS ICON] > FreeCommander [SECTION] > Items from subfolders

which would be a complementary to ordinary

Tools > Settings > View > Column profiles/automatic views > Column profiles [TAB] > [SELECT A PROFILE] > Define columns [ICON] > Add new column [PLUS ICON] > FreeCommander [SECTION] > Items

already available there