Notification bar for all operations

Suggestions and feature requests.
Dreamer
Site Admin

Notification bar for all operations

#1 Post by Dreamer » 23.02.2019, 14:58

I'm using auto-minimize and no-confirm dialog options for each operation (copy/move/delete).
I think most users using a confirmation dialog just press F5/F6 and Enter automatically.

I have few suggestions to make it better, but without any delay.
These suggestions are mainly for FC copy/move/delete operations, but if possible, perhaps it could be added also for some others, like rename, multi-rename, item creation, item added to clipboard, windows operations (copy/move/delete)...
The notification could be shown in the notification bar, similar to the queue bar, or use the same queue bar for this purpose.
It should be possible to use FC while the notification is shown, same as the queue bar.
Notification bar should be shown just for few seconds to show the operation info, then it should be hidden, same as the queue bar.

1) Show notification after the operation (copy/move/delete...) for 5 seconds (or custom time).
E.g.: Item FileA.txt copied from C:\Folder1 to D:\Folder2 successfully.
Multiple items copied from C:\Folder1 to D:\Folder2 successfully.

2) Show notification if the operation can't be performed only within the notification bar, instead a dialog, as option.
E.g.: same file name, access denied...

3) Highlight the notification text, as option: no highlight, use highlight color (perhaps swap text/background color), blink highlight (5x in 5 seconds)

4) Play (custom) sound after the operation.

5) Show the last notification, using a button or/and custom shortcut, or show the list of all/last 10 operations.

6) Show more information about last operation.
E.g. operation time, speed...

7) Show the source/destination path as link, to be able to click to open the path in FC, perhaps also focus the file from the operation.

This could be also a workaround for missing undo operation, users could check the last operations, especially moving item(s) within the same disk, copying small files or deleting, since these operations are instant and it's impossible to check it now.

Forez

Re: Notification bar for all operations

#2 Post by Forez » 12.03.2019, 23:59

Dreamer wrote: 23.02.2019, 14:58 [...]
I think most users using a confirmation dialog just press F5/F6 and Enter automatically.
[...]
I do, as with others options and also in other programs

But only when I pressed a key in a conscious way- for me notifications serve as a fail safe in case my fingers slip

Your ideas I applaud- as long as they will become optional

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Notification bar for all operations

#3 Post by Dreamer » 07.05.2023, 13:18

Some additions, examples:

Currently some operations are not supported, dialog "Operation is not supported!" is shown, e.g. F3 in recycle bin.

Other operations, like drag&drop file to the same location, Windows dialog "1 Interrupted Action" is shown.

Copy or cut (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X) have no dialogs or messages.

For such operations the message in the bottom information bar could be shown, similar to the queue bar if the item is moved instantly, delayed info is shown for few seconds.

For Copy / Move operations, when the item is permanently in the clipboard / cache, the bottom info bar could be shown "permanently" too, until the item is in cache, e.g. if the Paste operation is used, another info for this operation could be shown, just temporary, for a few seconds.