Open dead shortcut as ghost folders along with some color indication

Suggestions and feature requests.
Forez

Open dead shortcut as ghost folders along with some color indication

#1 Post by Forez » 15.07.2019, 23:08

Every now and then I encounter a dead LNK file on my drives. But almost always I need to actually recreate that folder or just retrieve the path to a deleted / moved / lost folder. So I propose this for FreecCommander to do in such situation:

A] Open such non-existing folder

B] Show the full path to it- but mark with color [chosen by the user in settings] the non-existing part. In extreme cases it would be the whole path marked by color- when a drive letter was changed [which actually is a typical situation for me]

C] Indicate with color [chosen by the user] the lack of content in such fake folder. Or show in it a single file than would have a TXT filename named like "THIS FOLDER DOES NOT EXIST - YOU ARE 'EXPLORING' A DEAD SHORTCUT", which file after opening would show some more descriptive information - or the other way around, a file without extension would be shown that could not be opened or even selected [assuming that is possible in FC]

D] Indicate with color [chosen by user] the name of the non-existing folder on the Tab

The A and B are a must I think- while the C and D could be added later on or even not added at all

Because, why just see some pop window from which we cannot copy a selected text? Let FreeCommander help us the users deal with the (semi)dead shortcuts in a more user-friendly way, please

Forez

Re: Open dead shortcut as ghost folders along with some color indication

#2 Post by Forez » 06.08.2019, 20:12

And some new idead somwehere along the lines: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9730

Forez

Re: Open dead shortcut as ghost folders along with some color indication

#3 Post by Forez » 09.07.2023, 15:02

A similar request to the one drom my initial post: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13505