2008-6c - INI location bug in Vista

Bugs and issues.
Bearded Kirklander

2008-6c - INI location bug in Vista

#1 Post by Bearded Kirklander » 22.09.2008, 06:36

Using the latest official release - 2008-6c in Windows Vista.

Under EXTRAS > SETTINGS > START PROGRAM

there is an area labeled CONFIG FILE

It defaults in value at "Specific for user - "Application Data" folder"

I had made some configuration changes and saved them. Then I decided I wanted to change it from SPECIFIC FOR USER to the FreeCommander Install Folder.

When I did this, the next time I started FreeCommander, I noticed that all of my configuration changes were no longer in effect.

I think it didn't copy the INI file from the Application Data folder over to the Install Folder.

I was thinking that it should do that so that the user does not have to re-configure the thing all over again.

I hope that makes sense.

BTW, maybe defaulting to the INSTALL FOLDER might be the best thing to do anyway, since individual people can create their own layouts if they wish. Not sure about that one though. But at least duplicating the INI would be nice.

blackbox

Re: 2008-6c - INI location bug in Vista

#2 Post by blackbox » 05.10.2008, 19:42

Bearded Kirklander wrote:BTW, maybe defaulting to the INSTALL FOLDER might be the best thing to do anyway, since individual people can create their own layouts if they wish.
I think this is terrible idea. Applications shouldn't write anything into their program folder during normal use, that's exactly what AppData folder is for.
Not to mention that this would require to always run the program as administrator.