Removable Drives Not updating

Bugs and issues.
kriknav

Removable Drives Not updating

#1 Post by kriknav » 05.12.2008, 15:52

This may or may not be a bug, but suddenly one of my computers that I use FreeCommander on no longer updates the Drives list automatically when I (un)plug a USB drive into my computer.

Currently I have FreeCommander 2008.06 installed at home and at work and the work machine has and still is working fine. When I plug in a USB drive it updates the Drives bar in FreeCommander to show the new drive and it disappears when i do the "Safely remove hardware" feature in windows. But my home machine no longer updates automatically, I have to either restart FreeCommander to update the bar or sometimes switching the drive bar between a bar of icons and a drop-down lists may trigger the drives to update.

I noticed this behavior after going through and disabling certain windows services that I deemed were not necessary, so I was thinking maybe I disabled a service that FreeCommander depended on for receiving notices of additions or removals of drives from windows. But none of the disabled services appear to perform any such function.

So if this is not a bug, can someone please tell me what service or windows feature I may have turned off that could cause this behavior.

I should mention that I'm using EmergeDesktop instead of explorer, but I seem to recall FreeCommander working fine after switching to EmergeDesktop, it was after turning off services that I started noticing this behvior.

Thank you for this wonderful product, hopefully I can get this issue resolved and get it back to fully working.

FrizzleFry

#2 Post by FrizzleFry » 05.12.2008, 16:12

I see the same behavior and I use LiteStep.

If I switch back to explorer FC refreshes the drive bar normally so I'm pretty sure that LiteStep is causing the problem in my case.

kriknav

#3 Post by kriknav » 05.12.2008, 16:41

Thanks, I see if switching back to Explorer works for me.

If so, it would seem like maybe FreeCommander should have it's own drive discovery logic instead of depending on Explorer, since in my mind, the purpose of using FreeCommdander is to eliminate the need to use Explorer.