Drives mounted to folders (instead of letters) problem

Bugs and issues.
airjrdn

Drives mounted to folders (instead of letters) problem

#1 Post by airjrdn » 22.10.2009, 13:13

On my fileserver, I have drives mounted inside folders instead of to drive letters, so I can maintain an easy to understand filesystem hierarchy (media\audio, media\video, media\video\kid movies, etc.).

From my Win7 RC workstation, navigating the drives-in-folders folder structure on my XP Pro fileserver, FC 2009.02 will expand those folders on the left side of a treeview, but won't display any of the files for the top level folder.

If for example, I have a drive mounted to m:\audio\music videos\ I can't view the files in that folder using FC. I can however, expand and view files in subfolders of m:\audio\music videos\.

FC displays a small arrow on the problematic folders (points up and to the right) if that helps narrow this problem down at all. For reference, Win7's windows explorer displays the same arrowed folder icon.

onclethomas

Re: Drives mounted to folders (instead of letters) problem

#2 Post by onclethomas » 31.08.2010, 08:38

Hi,

same goes for me. I'm currently using FC 2010 donors pre-alpha and the problem is still existing. My constellation is:
  • File server with Windows Server 2003 R2 x64
  • Work station with Windows XP Professional
  • Work station with Windows 7 Professional x64
The behavior is exactly the same like described above. Trying to view the top level folder (the so-called mount point for the hard drive) FC jumps to my Desktop. Viewing sub-folders in the mount point folder is working well. Strange thing is that it works on the XP machine.

It is really a pity because FC is a fabulous tool but this bug disables it for me to manage most of my files on the file server. :(

greetings

socrates

#3 Post by socrates » 07.09.2010, 15:11

I got exactly the same problem as onclethomas. I've got file server on Win 2003 R2 x64 cluster, clients on Windows XP and Windows 7, and on the file server drives are mounted to folders instead of drive letters.

It looks exactly like this:
- on file server cluster I have createad a share \\fileserver\home (the directory that is shared is also named "home", I suppose the full path is not important)
- under "home" directory on file server I created two directories: M1 and M2
- I mounted two file systems (drives) on M1 and M2 (mount points are supported by Win 2003 cluster so that is not the problem), so the respective UNC paths are \\fileserver\home\M1 and \\fileserver\home\M2
- I install FC 2009.02a on Windows 7 and Windows XP

This is what happens on Windows 7 using FC:

- I try to access \\fileserver\home using Free Commander - it works and lists M1 and M2 (with a little arrow as described by others)
- I try to access \\fileserver\home\M1 or \\fileserver\home\M2 - nothing happens, it does not let me in but it does not display error message neither, it just stays at the same place
- I try to access \\fileserver\home\M1\anysubfolder or \\fileserver\home\M2\anysubfolder - it works

When I try to access exactly the same things from FC on Windows XP, everything works, as onclethomas has already stated.

When I try to access exactly the same things from Windows Explorer on Windows 7, it also works.

So it must be some kind of a bug or something. It really disables me to manage many tasks in my daily work, and I prefer using FC over other file managers.

Marek, please help !

andrew15

#4 Post by andrew15 » 15.10.2011, 11:34

The only solution of this problem is re installing windows.

airjrdn wrote:On my fileserver, I have drives mounted inside folders instead of to drive letters, so I can maintain an easy to understand filesystem hierarchy (media\audio, media\video, media\video\kid movies, etc.).

From my Win7 RC workstation, navigating the drives-in-folders folder structure on my XP Pro fileserver, FC 2009.02 will expand those Online Diploma folders on the left side of a treeview, but won't display any of the files for the top level folder.

If for example, I have a drive mounted to m:\audio\music videos\ I can't view the files in that folder using FC. I can however, expand and view files in subfolders of m:\audio\music videos\.

FC displays a small arrow on the problematic folders (points up and to the right) if that helps narrow this problem down at all. For reference, Win7's windows explorer displays the same arrowed folder icon.

liza

#5 Post by liza » 26.09.2012, 11:05

The behavior is absolutely the aforementioned like declared above. Trying to appearance the top akin binder (the alleged arise point for the adamantine drive) FC all-overs to my Desktop. Viewing sub-folders in the arise point binder is alive well. Strange affair is that it works on the XP machine.

It is absolutely a benevolence because FC is a aces apparatus but this bug disables it for me to administer best of my files on the book server.
Liza smith