Very slow over network connections

Bugs and issues.
paul_galbraith

Very slow over network connections

#1 Post by paul_galbraith » 26.11.2007, 19:21

FreeCommander 2007.10 (win xp sp2) is very sluggish when accessing one of my mapped network drives, it takes several seconds for every action (select file, move focus, open directory) to complete. Windows Explorer on the other hand is very fast (> 10 times faster) doing the same navigation operations on the same drive.

paul_galbraith

#2 Post by paul_galbraith » 26.11.2007, 19:23

I should add that I did try running fc with default settings as per the recommendation, but that made no difference.

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 26.11.2007, 20:17

Try to test following settings:

- Settings->View->Icons: set for Remote to fixed
- Settings->General: turn off Auto refresh for remote
- turn off display of folder size

elot

#4 Post by elot » 05.02.2008, 08:32

Well, i tried this.
It works a little (not much) for a network share that i have put a drive letter on (connect to drive letter i mean).

But is does not have any effect if i try to use a UNC path.
If i try to connect to \\servername\sharename it is still very slow.

I have to tell that i don't have this problem at home with a Workgroup situation, but i do have this at work with a Windows Domain (Active Directory) situation.

_Ray_

#5 Post by _Ray_ » 09.02.2008, 20:53

Marek wrote:Try to test following settings:

- Settings->View->Icons: set for Remote to fixed
- Settings->General: turn off Auto refresh for remote
- turn off display of folder size

I Seem to be experiencing a similar problem. Switching of folder size (which I find to be very convenient for local drives). Helps a lot. Unfortunatelly this can not be swiched on for local drives only.

elot

#6 Post by elot » 10.02.2008, 15:51

_Ray_ wrote:I Seem to be experiencing a similar problem. Switching of folder size (which I find to be very convenient for local drives). Helps a lot. Unfortunatelly this can not be swiched on for local drives only.
Well, since i never have that on, except when i need it for a moment (i switch it off direct aftewords) this does not help for me.

Anyone any other ideas that i can try, or are more peoplehaving this problem?

andrew_j

#7 Post by andrew_j » 14.02.2008, 10:43

I tried the following and it helped.

1. In the bar that shows all the drives I click on the icon for "network environment"

2. after a long wait I see two icons on the left side in the panel that you open with Alt+T. At the root level I have the icon representing the network environment. Off that, below, I see the icon for the whole network.

3. Again in the bar with all the drives, I right-click on the icon for "network environment", then I left-click on "Open". Windows will open a pop-up with all the drives and folders constituting my network. At the same time, somewhat miraculously, I can see appear in fc all the shared folders within my network.

4. That's it. Now I click on my desired folder, whose contents are displayed much faster.

5. The next time I click on the icon for network environment, the folders are displayed straight away. Somebody seems to remember something somewhere.

6. For information only, I use Windows XP and version 2007.10a of fc.

elot

#8 Post by elot » 14.02.2008, 20:17

Hmmm, nice idea, but i don't use shares in the network, i use UNC paths.
This meansthat i don't see a list of shares.
This also means that all UNC paths keep slow, even after a first connect.
And some driveletters i use to go to some shares, also keeps slow.
It does not work right for me. :(

And Windows explorer (and also other explorers like totalcommander and Unrealcommander) has no speed problem with it. :?

Toniob

#9 Post by Toniob » 20.02.2008, 16:13

Got same problem with windows and SMB shares.

I curcumvent the problem thanks to NetDirBooster who raise the network buffer size. Now switching tab between several network folders is flashspeed ( it often tooks 30sec - 1minute before...)

:( Sorry for the link, I get a :
"You must have 2 posts before you can post URL's/Links." ... Try Google

elot

#10 Post by elot » 21.02.2008, 08:56

Toniob wrote:I curcumvent the problem thanks to NetDirBooster who raise the network buffer size. Now switching tab between several network folders is flashspeed ( it often tooks 30sec - 1minute before...)
Hmmm, not as quick as Xplorer2 or Totalcommander, but a lot better then it was.
It is so acceptable that i can use it now again, but i would like a definitive solution with normal speed.

By the way, do you have to run this NetSpeedBooster every tiem you start the pc, or just 1 time???
I could not find it in the info page when you start this program.

Toniob

#11 Post by Toniob » 21.02.2008, 09:55

elot wrote: By the way, do you have to run this NetSpeedBooster every tiem you start the pc, or just 1 time???
I could not find it in the info page when you start this program.
It seems to keep the setting after reboot.
Folders access looks as fast

elot

#12 Post by elot » 26.02.2008, 11:18

Yes, i found a workaround to make everything lightning speed :idea: :o

On the left side i have several tabs and also the Tree folder open.
On the right side i have closed on all tabs the Treefolder view.
And now switching on netwerkdrives is really at lightning speed :D

But if you use tabs, be sure to close the treefolder view on all tabs, because i had 1 not closed and switchng from 1 tab with folderview on a local drive to a network drive is very slow again.

So, just close the the folderview on the side that you are using for a network, or just close it before switching to a network.

Works great 8)

panther

#13 Post by panther » 06.03.2008, 10:46

Marek,
it is very clear that network access is very slow and annoying and here is sum of this bug:
-same with XPSP2, Vista and Vista SP1
-same with FC 2007 or 2008 beta, march release
-only when TreeView (ALT T) enabled
-only when there are lots of folders and files in selected folder
-it could take 10's of seconds after double click on such folder
-fixed icon, folder size, etc. doesn't help
-100Mbps direct connection to network server doesn't help
-I have brand new PC with Core 2 Duo, 2GB mem, Vista SP1, ...

So it seems collecting directory info is going too much in details or in using wrong functions or override some internal buffer or something. I'm willing to help in case you would like to test something, but this bug is blocking me to use FreeCommander instead of crappy Vista Explorer .

alekdavis

#14 Post by alekdavis » 06.03.2008, 23:27

I'm also experiencing problems accessing remote shares using UNC paths. When I first enetered a UNC path of a share in the Command bar (like I do in Windows Explorer using the Address bar), I thought FC froze and killed it. After reading this thread, I tried again and waited: it took a little over a minute to display a UNC share. Mapping a drive did not seem to have this issue (it connected pretty fast). I also tried selecting My Network Places in the drive bar, and then Entire Network in the tree view, and it seemed to make it faster some times and no effect other times. Anyway, this seems like an area for improvement.

hamquestionmark

#15 Post by hamquestionmark » 21.07.2008, 15:42

It seems that it is trying to populate the entire "network neighborhood" in the left panel. When using a mapped drive it does not do this. Is there any way to prevent it from doing this?