Wish: <space> will sort first

Suggestions and feature requests.
Scott_Y

Wish: <space> will sort first

#1 Post by Scott_Y » 17.10.2009, 04:47

Wish: <space> will sort first in lists (for both folder and file names) -- as it does in Windows Explorer.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#2 Post by Dreamer » 17.10.2009, 14:28

I'm not sure what exactly you want, but Space is configurable too, more here (but I don't know what to use exactly, "space"?).

Scott_Y

#3 Post by Scott_Y » 22.10.2009, 04:13

In Windows Explorer, one can make the first character of a file name <space>, and it will then sort at the top of the list (ascending A-Z). FC does not follow this in two respects:

1. When naming a file, FC deletes initial spaces from file names.
2. For files which already have an initial space, FC does not recognize the space and therefore does not sort it to the top.

My wish is for FC to allow and recognize <space> at the start of a file name.

This is actually not a big problem (for example, an initial underscore character <_> can be used instead of <space> to sort at the top of a list). But it's strange for FC not to follow what is available in Windows Explorer.

granny

#4 Post by granny » 22.10.2009, 10:54

I've never been able to use a leading space character in a file/folder name in Windows Explorer, either in XP or in Vista. Windows Explorer also deletes the spaces, just as Free Commander does.

Have you been able to use leading spaces on any computer you use? Maybe you have done some kind of registry tweak or something that permits the leading space?

I'm really curious now to find out how to get that to work for me!

Scott_Y

#5 Post by Scott_Y » 23.10.2009, 05:00

It's a good thing you can't see my red face over the internet -- I messed this one up!

The first thing I'll say is that I withdraw this feature request! I was wrong!

You are correct, Granny: Windows Explorer does not allow <space> as the first character of a file name. That was available in my previous file manager (Altap Salamander), so I assumed it was a universal feature, including in Win Explorer. However, I just tested it on Win Explorer, and what do you know -- it doesn't work after all!

So I was totally wrong to request FC to "follow what is available in Windows Explorer" -- when it isn't available there either!!! My apologies.

And thanks, Granny, for pointing this out. I learned something!

granny

#6 Post by granny » 23.10.2009, 05:05

Well, shoot. I was kind of hoping for a registry tweak or some little utility software that would allow that leading space on demand.

Maybe Marek the Wizard will be able to design such a feature.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 24.10.2009, 02:25

Oh, sorry, misunderstanding.

I remember that feature in Salamander too. Great file manager with great features, but not free anymore. FC is free and few features I still miss from Salamander will be added in the next version! :D