Full support for Windows User Account Control (UAC)

Suggestions and feature requests.
colin_e

Full support for Windows User Account Control (UAC)

#1 Post by colin_e » 01.11.2010, 21:53

I would assume this is a frequently requested topic, but on a quick run through this forum I can't find it.

On my multiple PCs at home running Windows XP, FreeCommander is one of the very first applications I install on a fresh build, straight after a proper browser (Firefox). FreeCommander is an increadibly useful tool for setting up and managing a Windows machine.

However I now have a couple of Vista laptops in the family, plus one new install of Windows 7, and with these there are problems, caused by UAC.

For example, installing multiple apps sprays a zillion entries into the start menu. I move these default start menu entries aside, and build my own rationalised "tidy" start menu.

I started doing this in Win 7 with FreeCommander, and started seeing bizarre effects such as-
  • You can add a start menu folder in FreeCommander. It appears to be present (it shows up in FC, but it doesn't appear in the start menu itself.
  • Similarly, moving or creating files in system folders (e.g. boot screen wallpaper) will fail, most often silently.
I'm sure this is down to FreeCommander not understanding UAC, and not showing the UAC prompts to execute a single action at elevated permissions. Yes you could just run FC with admin permissions at all times but this is dangerous. UAC in Vista was incredibly annoying, but the Win 7 settings are more sensible, and it is actually a useful feature, roughly equivalent to using "sudo" in Linux for admin commands.

I hate going back to Windows explorer to administer my Win 7 OS, the lack of dual windows, directory compare and synchronisation etc. are all painful. Please support UAC properly, then I can go back to using FreeCommander as the file admin "Swiss Army Knife" of choice.

Regards: colin_e

vodoomoth

Re: Full support for Windows User Account Control (UAC)

#2 Post by vodoomoth » 06.04.2011, 22:44

I would like to add my voice to the OP's for this support of UAC. It is much needed.