File selection with click-and-drag

Suggestions and feature requests.
AimHere

File selection with click-and-drag

#1 Post by AimHere » 29.11.2010, 04:03

Hi,

Before anything else, I'd like to say that this is a pretty nice little file manager (especially for being free). :D

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to select or deselect multiple files with the mouse alone (no Shift or Ctrl) by clicking-and-dragging. It would be similar to the current "NC-Mode", with the "Select with right mouse button" option checked, only it would work with the LEFT mouse button, not the right. Clicking the right mouse button would call up the Context menu, like in normal (non-NC) mode.

Another file manager I've used frequently works like this, it would be nice to see it in FC.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: File selection with click-and-drag

#2 Post by Dreamer » 01.12.2010, 21:26

If you mean the same as in Explorer, than it works this way already, just disable NC-mode. It works in List view, in Details view you must re-size columns, so you'll make a free space on right, then it's possible also in Details view.

If you want to select the files easier in Details view, then close FC, open FreeCommander.ini file in notepad and add this line in the [Form] field:

FullRowSelect=0

Then save the file and open FC.

This option will be available in settings, in the next version.

AimHere

#3 Post by AimHere » 31.12.2010, 20:03

That isn't really what I'm asking for.

What you describe is the Windows Explorer method of clicking-and-dragging a "box" in the Explorer pane, so that any items that fall at least partially within the box get selected. But for this to work, you have to start the click OUTSIDE of the area containing the items (e.g. away from any of their icons or filenames). Which means you have to make sure your mouse pointer is lined up with the first item you want to select, without actually pointing at it.

What I'm talking about is clicking DIRECTLY on the first item to be selected, then dragging to select additional items. All of the selected files would then be highlighted in a contrasting color. And the selection should be "sticky", in that I should be able to select a batch of files, then click on another file elsewhere in the window and drag to select even more files (in non-contiguous blocks) without deselecting the previous group(s). If I decide I want to deselect any of them, I just click-and-drag on one or more files that are already selected.

Again, this would work exactly like the "Select files in NC-Mode" option with the "Select with right mouse button" sub-option... only with the LEFT mouse button instead of the right.

Naturally, this would not allow the use of drag-and-drop for moving/copying files, but it WOULD allow the use of right-clicking to bring up the Context menu (without holding the CTRL key). Moving/copying can always be done with the toolbar or splitter tools.

A lot of people I know swear AT the whole drag-and-drop concept (rather than swearing BY it), and would prefer that the left mouse button be used STRICTLY for selecting files by click-and-drag, as I described, without having to hold SHIFT and/or CTRL or dragging boxes around stuff. These people come from a background of using other computers and operating systems, and merely find click-and-drag selection more intuitive and easier to use. As for me, it's all a matter of offering the user more options.

So, if this could be made into a feature, you'd have at least a few more converts to the FreeCommander cause. :)

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 31.12.2010, 22:18

I think you would have been very disappointed if you would've made this request into a poll. Not many users would be on your side. First reason that comes in my mind is that Windows Explorer does not work this way.

I made my life easier using a mouse that came with an application which allows me to remap the buttons for specific applications. For FC I made Left Tilt behave as Ctrl (I move the scroll wheel to the left side and left button click files I want to select) and Right Tilt behave as Ctrl+A. Very useful.

I think you could try something like StrokeIt and see how you like it.