F key defaults

Suggestions and feature requests.
ADude

F key defaults

#1 Post by ADude » 28.11.2007, 05:40

Hi !

I just wanted to point out that the default settings for F4, F5 and F6 - combined with the default setting of "no confirmation" could cause problems for new users, who can end up copying and moving files by accident.

Throughout the Windows world, F5 is "refresh" and is defined as such by all Explorers - including even Internet Explorer.

So, new users will hit F5 and then whatever is highlighted will start to copy to an unintended location.

Certainly, confirmation should be the default for all processes, and then users can implement "no confirmation" situations in the settings if they want.

F4 and F6 are less common, but might be pressed by accident, again causing copy and move operations.

PS While I have your attention :D - I find that when I drag and drop from one pane to another, the folder that I am copying to "expands" (the "+" is expanded into subfolders) and then the position of the folder moves in the tree. The result of the movement is that the file ends up being copied into a sub-folder instead of the folder. I'm not sure if it is my dragging technique or not, but it would help if a folder's position is not moved when the "+" is expanded.

Thanks for your attention to these matters.

Otherwise, I am quite enjoying the many features of Free Commander.

BTW, Version is 2007.10 .

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: F key defaults

#2 Post by Dreamer » 29.11.2007, 01:42

ADude wrote:Certainly, confirmation should be the default for all processes, and then users can implement "no confirmation" situations in the settings if they want.
I agree, at least F5 ad F6.
ADude wrote:PS While I have your attention :D - I find that when I drag and drop from one pane to another, the folder that I am copying to "expands" (the "+" is expanded into subfolders) and then the position of the folder moves in the tree. The result of the movement is that the file ends up being copied into a sub-folder instead of the folder. I'm not sure if it is my dragging technique or not, but it would help if a folder's position is not moved when the "+" is expanded.
Please read the forum rules first - then start a new topic.

mjcarman

#3 Post by mjcarman » 03.12.2007, 04:23

Agreed. Please keep standard platform shortcuts wherever possible! I hit F5 expecting a refresh and immediately thought "Uh-oh. What the #$%^ did I just do?"

enkryptor

#4 Post by enkryptor » 21.12.2007, 13:26

as an idea - "F5" and "Shift-F5" hotkeys can be optionally swapped